All Men Are Dogs

Effluvia

Excerpting an entire comic is perhaps pushing the boundaries of Fair Use, so let me give back by saying: add it to your RSS reader and buy some presents via the SMBC store.

(Disclosure: no relationship exists between me and SMBC other than that of pure fandom; link is not an affiliate link.)

Last 5 posts by Clark

1. John Farrier  •  Dec 4, 2013 @8:45 am

Zach Weinersmith talks about courtesy and artist attribution a lot on Twitter. I think he'd be fine with how you've handled it.

2. HamOnRye  •  Dec 4, 2013 @8:49 am

Slightly tangential, and most likely related to my lack of coffee, but I am not following how the title and cartoon are related.

Can someone throw me a friggen bone here?

3. Kirk Taylor  •  Dec 4, 2013 @8:50 am

That is so weird. Popehat is just before Comics on my morning reading so I end up reading SMBC on Popehat before getting to SMBC (and xkcd). Not sure how I feel about it – my morning routine has been skewed.

Going back to bed and starting over.

Thanks for the excuse…

4. Clark  •  Dec 4, 2013 @9:06 am

@HamOnRye:

Can someone throw me a friggen bone here?

1) some women sometimes say things like "men are pigs" or "men are dogs"

2) this is a comic about a dog who is conflicted over how his complete freedom in a state of nature ("red in tooth and claw" to quote Tennyson) has been exchanged for civilization
    (Rousseau's social contract), and how he simulaneous rejects the exchange (or at least laments it) – the best he can do is to pledge to be "just" (i.e. fair) even if not good (i.e virtuous)

3) The dog stands for Man, and for men.

"Men are dogs" / "the dog is Man, and men". That is all.

5. J@m3z Aitch  •  Dec 4, 2013 @9:17 am

@Ham on Rye,

You ask how men are dogs, then ask for a bone? Either you really do need more coffee this morning or you're a comic genius!

6. Kirk Taylor  •  Dec 4, 2013 @9:17 am

What really shocks me is that this is the one you chose. The previous days comic seemed much more "Clark-like"

7. Clark  •  Dec 4, 2013 @9:28 am

@Kirk Taylor

Yeah, that was genius.

8. mud man  •  Dec 4, 2013 @9:38 am

I read that (several times) as "perhaps I can just be doggy." It's true, wimmin never get the motivation structure involved here.

9. Alan Bleiweiss  •  Dec 4, 2013 @9:40 am

Ha! This one was DEFINITELY "Clark-like" – I know this to be fact because I've recently begun reading articles here without first seeing who the author is. This has allowed me to become skilled at identifying "Clark-speak". And I assure you, by the 3rd panel in the comic, I was like "This has got to be a Clark article"…

:-)

10. tom  •  Dec 4, 2013 @9:41 am

Waitaminute… weren't we panning a political cartoonist for getting cranky about excerpting entire comics just last week? Is this borderline Fair Use or not?

11. Via Angus  •  Dec 4, 2013 @9:43 am

I feel your pain bro dog.

12. OrderoftheQuaff  •  Dec 4, 2013 @9:46 am

Whereas women are more catlike. They will force you to guess what they want, and fault you for guessing wrong.

13. Kirk Taylor  •  Dec 4, 2013 @9:51 am

I think providing the link and an endorsement makes it okay. It's more advertisement than anything. I'm also pretty sure Zach would be cool with it. Which is the first thing you should ask before copying someone's work – not whether it's legal or not – that's the second question.

14. James Pollock  •  Dec 4, 2013 @9:52 am

That is not how my cat behaves. She demands what she wants, when she wants it, whether she actually deserves anything at that particular time or not, and whether or not it's actually convenient to provide it at that time. And if you don't give her what she wants, when she wants it, she just sits there on the floor nearby with a facial expression that silently asks "why won't you give me my due?"

15. barry  •  Dec 4, 2013 @9:54 am

That made me google palimpsest.
    Of the dogs I know to have written novels (Snoopy and Brian Griffin), I don't think either used the word, though I wouldn't be surprised if they both knew it.
    R.I.P. Brian. He was a good doggy.

16. Clark  •  Dec 4, 2013 @9:59 am

@Via Angus

The pigs need you to come to the barn.

17. Clark  •  Dec 4, 2013 @10:03 am

@tom

Uhhhh no … read here.

18. Al  •  Dec 4, 2013 @10:05 am

You haven't really read all of the comic. There's still the red button on the site.

19. Hoare  •  Dec 4, 2013 @10:19 am

"It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milkbone underwear" -Norm

20. Kirk Taylor  •  Dec 4, 2013 @10:34 am

HOLY CRAP! I've been reading SMBC for YEARS and never pushed the red button! I will be unavailable for a few days…

21. luagha  •  Dec 4, 2013 @10:45 am

R.I.P. Brian:

"You are the worst person I know. You constantly hit on your best friend's wife, the man pays for your food and rescued you from certain death and this is how you repay him? And to add insult to injury, you defecate all over his yard. And you're such a sponge. You pay for nothing, you always say "Oh, I'll get you later" but later never comes. And what really bothers me, is you pretend you're this deep guy who loves women for their souls, when all you do is date bimbos. Yeah, I date women for their bodies but at least I'm honest about it. I don't buy them a copy of Catcher in the Rye and then lecture them with some seventh grade interruption of how Holden Caulfield is some profound intellectual. He wasn't! He was a spoiled brat! And that's why you like him so much, he's you!

God, you're pretentious! And you delude yourself by thinking you're some great writer even though you're terrible. You know, I should have known Cheryl Tiegs didn't write me that note. She would have known there's no "a" in the word "definite." And I think what I hate most about you is your textbook liberal agenda, how we should "legalize pot, man," how big business is crushing the underclass, how homelessness is the biggest tragedy in America. Well, what have you done to help? I work down at the soup kitchen, Brian. Never seen you down there! You wanna help? Grab a ladle! And by the way, driving a Prius doesn't make you Jesus Christ! Oh, wait! You don't believe in Jesus Christ or any religion for that matter, because "religion is for idiots!" Well, who the hell are you to talk down to anyone? You failed college twice, which isn't nearly as bad as your failure as a father! How's that son of yours you never see? But you know what? I could forgive all of that, all of it, if you weren't such a bore! That's the worst of it, Brian. You're just a big, sad, alcoholic bore.

22. Al  •  Dec 4, 2013 @10:53 am

@Kirk Taylor

Then you're one of today's lucky 10,000.

23. Clark  •  Dec 4, 2013 @11:33 am

@Al

@Kirk Taylor

Then you're one of today's lucky 10,000.

I'm another.

Red button? WOAH!!!

24. SPQR  •  Dec 4, 2013 @4:38 pm

And now I despair.

25. Aaron  •  Dec 4, 2013 @4:39 pm

@Clark, the extra panel is called a "votey," because it used to be the bonus punchline you'd get to see if you voted for SMBC as best webcomic on some website. They no longer use the votey as a reward for votes, though, but it's almost always wonderful.

26. ysth  •  Dec 5, 2013 @12:38 am