Police Who Rape

Law, Politics & Current Events

The always awesome Rick Horowitz has a great post about police who rape. Here's one fun fact among many: "the United States outdoes India when it comes to custodial rapes of women by law enforcement personnel".

But, hey, it's fundamentally a good system. I'm sure it can be reformed from within.

UPDATE: if you're getting sick of the all-law-enforcement-slagging-all-the-time channel, I've got two posts that just moved from the back burner to the front burner of actual composition: Urbit For The Non-Vulcan, and The Nine Nations and Four Seeds of North America.

Last 5 posts by Clark

1. Jim Salter  •  Nov 13, 2013 @5:05 pm

"from within"… I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE, CLARK.

2. Todd Knarr  •  Nov 13, 2013 @6:11 pm

My thought: if the police and their supporters are tired of police-slagging, perhaps the police might, oh, I dunno, maybe stop doing the kinds of things that would merit slagging?

3. JohnC  •  Nov 13, 2013 @6:53 pm

"the United States outdoes India when it comes to custodial rapes of women by law enforcement personnel."

That would amusing if it (a) were remotely true, and (b) didn't thus minimize just how mind-boggling common rape is in India (such that this video actually underscores the problem: http://youtu.be/FQso95Vfwwc ).

4. STW  •  Nov 13, 2013 @7:16 pm

I was on a federal jury that convicted a prison guard for his actions with a female inmate so they don't always get away with it. The final plea of the defense would be amusing if it wasn't so sad, "He's already lost his wife and family, don't cause him to loose his freedom. He's been punished enough." Ah, no.

5. CJK Fossman  •  Nov 13, 2013 @8:02 pm

@JohnC

That would amusing if it (a) were remotely true

Maybe you could provide a source supporting your contention that it isn't "remotely true."

6. EH  •  Nov 13, 2013 @8:41 pm

STW: bankers don't "always" get away with raping the economy, but they tend to.

7. princessartemis  •  Nov 14, 2013 @12:11 am

STW: bankers don't "always" get away with raping the economy, but they tend to.

I've never seen an economy be sexually assaulted.

8. Bryan  •  Nov 14, 2013 @5:22 am
    STW: bankers don't "always" get away with raping the economy, but they tend to.

I've never seen an economy be sexually assaulted.

Sadly, most have no clue how deeply and throughly shafted they have been.

9. picklefactory  •  Nov 14, 2013 @8:06 am

Urbit For The Non-Vulcan

I fully expect this to be high-larious.

10. nlp  •  Nov 14, 2013 @9:56 am

That would amusing if it (a) were remotely true

Without looking for statistics, I expect that the statement should have included the word "reported", as in "the United States outdoes India when it comes to reported custodial rapes of women by law enforcement personnel". The article also said that rape is the fastest-growing crime, which, again, I suspect is not accurate, but rather, indicates that rape is more likely to be reported now.

Even now, rape is still believed to be underreported in the US. In third world countries the problem getting women (and men) to report rape still faces enormous cultural roadblocks.

11. Careless  •  Nov 15, 2013 @9:55 am

There are 12 times as many women in prison in the US, so that doesn't sound surprising.