Tom Matzzie @tommatzzie just won the internet

Effluvia

Well done, sir, well done.

Last 5 posts by Clark

1. Clark  •  Oct 24, 2013 @2:25 pm

The most exciting thing that ever happened to me in the Acela first class car was free peanuts, wine, and a WSJ.

2. SPQR  •  Oct 24, 2013 @2:36 pm

"On background" – think how much journalism would be improved if they never listened to anybody who wouldn't own up to the background smears.

I'm not talking about truly vulnerable people going anonymous but just this kind of crap.

3. Fury  •  Oct 24, 2013 @3:26 pm

Per the photo, I wonder if Mr. Matzzie felt the small tracking chip that LTG Hayden has just placed in his neck.

4. Clark  •  Oct 24, 2013 @3:29 pm

@Fury

Matzzie won the internet, but you've won the comment thread.

5. adam  •  Oct 24, 2013 @3:41 pm

@Clark

how DOES the other half live?

6. BBnet3000  •  Oct 24, 2013 @4:20 pm

Speaking of expectations of privacy, common-carrier transportation definitely is a place where you have none.

7. Frank Rizzo  •  Oct 24, 2013 @8:09 pm

Not too long ago I was riding a bus, and didn't get sued for complaining oops not that bus company, it was Greyhound or Megabus I think. Anyway there was this guy who was in the back and telling everyone how he ran some agency so secret he couldn't tell us which one it was. Conspiracy plots, secret plots, bugs everywhere spying and secret implants.

Sorry to say I don't have a twitter account, and don't usually talk to people saying things like this, guess I know better next time! "!aaaH-aH ,yawA eM ekaT oT gnimoC er'yehT"

8. Woff1965  •  Oct 24, 2013 @9:34 pm

Good thing Tom likes trains, he's just gone on the no fly list for life.

9. luagha  •  Oct 25, 2013 @1:39 pm

I would have thought it hard to top Pillsbury Winthrop partner Robert Robbins loudly talking up the impending layoffs at his firm on the Acela before they occurred (from Above The Law) but here it is.

10. M. Alan Thomas II  •  Oct 25, 2013 @2:03 pm

What, no-one's made a government surveillance / no-right-to-anonymity joke yet?

11. G.  •  Oct 25, 2013 @2:05 pm

Why do I keep thinking of a…was it Marylin Monroe film "Strangers on a train"? I dunno…I may be thinking of the wrong film…and context. Still. Funny to me.

12. Bradoplata (@bradoplata)  •  Oct 25, 2013 @10:46 pm

Fury, I haven't laughed that hard at an Internet comment in quite a while. Thanks.

13. freedomfan  •  Oct 26, 2013 @6:04 pm

@Fury and @Woff1965, awesome!

FWIW, the three tweets before the last one are posted out of order. Changes the complexion of the situation very slightly.

FWIW2: I have seen on a few sites the caption of the phone pic of Matzzie and Heyden with the caption "Me and Steeler fan Michael Hayden" as Clark has above and several with the caption "Win". I wonder why the difference? I suppose Matzzie just tweeted the picture with more than one headline.

BTW, I watched Matzzie's interview on HoPo Live and I must say that Hayden came off as very congenial and not as the bully one might expect. That's not to say that he and I would have much agreement on the boundaries of government power, but he sure had a better reaction to what will clearly be an embarrassing moment than this guy.