Request of the Day

WTF?

In my inbox:

Sir,
Please check your buffers / filters for a comment from "[handle]" that I attempted to post just after you closed the thread. I had started the comment when the thread was open. Please send me a copy of anything you find.
Thanks,
[handle]

Re : http://www.popehat.com/2013/09/11/on-the-911-anniversary/#comments

what is this i don't even

Update

I responded with:

. . . . seriously?

He responded with this.

This is a for real request. My comment had three parts : a reasonable failure mode for the WTC, a reference to the Beirut Barracks Bombing and one gyrene's response, and my interpretation of E Pluribus Unum. Please take a look at your blog's buffers. Thanks for your time. [handle]

1. Michael Donnelly  •  Sep 12, 2013 @5:46 pm

Oh, man, do comment have a minimum length? It wouldn't post my "wat" comment.

Dammit, couching the joke in actual English ruins it all.

2. tsrblke  •  Sep 12, 2013 @5:53 pm

Clearly his comment was of such monumental importance that it cannot be lost, and since he failed to save a copy himself, he's screwed.
    (Does WordPress even have a filter for "closed" on many blogs, if a post is closed, as opposed to just moderated, the request doesn't even go through, and the comment never makes it to any "filter/buffer."

3. Al  •  Sep 12, 2013 @6:22 pm

Hey, while you're at it can you tell me which posts I read on June 17, 2011? Thanks!

4. rich  •  Sep 12, 2013 @6:23 pm

I think it was a spam with a script that misfired.

5. TomB  •  Sep 12, 2013 @6:33 pm

Hey, at least he didn't instruct you to "govern yourself accordingly".

Look for the little things (OK, VERY little).

6. En Passant  •  Sep 12, 2013 @6:35 pm

Mr. [handle] shows possibility for great guest post. Guest bloggers can provide excellent links.

[ducks and runs]

7. Zack  •  Sep 12, 2013 @7:02 pm

GHOSTCRAWLER PROMISED ME A PONY!

… wait, wrong thread.

8. nlp  •  Sep 12, 2013 @7:07 pm

Perhaps he thinks that since he started writing before you closed the comments he is entitled to have his comment appear?

9. KayDat  •  Sep 12, 2013 @7:08 pm

wat

10. ysth  •  Sep 12, 2013 @7:26 pm

When comments were open you were making an offer to publish anything anyone wrote there. [handle] sent you a manuscript (so to speak) to publish, and you….stole it. That's really the only way to put it. [handle] is asking for it back, on the off chance you may not have shredded it.

11. Troutwaxer  •  Sep 12, 2013 @7:31 pm

[Handle] should have pushed the "back" button.

12. ysth  •  Sep 12, 2013 @7:33 pm

Often setting "Work Offline" and then using the back button will work; just the back button often doesn't.

13. Matt  •  Sep 12, 2013 @7:41 pm

Dilbert has the obvious answer (sorry to post this same thing in two threads, but hey, it works…): http://dilbert.com/2013-09-06/

14. MCB  •  Sep 12, 2013 @9:27 pm

CHECK YOUR BUFFERS! SIR! CHECK YOUR BUFFERS!

Seriously, everyone should get their buffers/filters checked twice a year.

15. Michael K.  •  Sep 12, 2013 @9:36 pm
  16. Michael K.  •  Sep 12, 2013 @9:36 pm

ARGH. Inline images no work. Me fail. Double-argh.

17. Geek Chick  •  Sep 12, 2013 @9:57 pm

Wow…just…wow

18. Bear  •  Sep 12, 2013 @11:19 pm

Meh. When I post a middlin' longish screed somewhere, I compose offline, save, and copy&paste to the comment form.

But just to be helpful, I did a search using his description and found it:

19. apauld  •  Sep 12, 2013 @11:21 pm

You should've just told him/her to keep retyping it until it posts.

20. G Thompson  •  Sep 13, 2013 @12:42 am

Other than the standard WHAT???? [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTHL0MAWkmY ] response – & the personal confirmation that some people are just weird – maybe a link to refer the individual to the web commentors saviour program of choice Lazarus [ http://getlazarus.com/ ] could make this nutter save his own riveting and noteworthy (/sarc) responses forever more!!!!

21. alexa-blue  •  Sep 13, 2013 @2:13 am

Well, I found this site with a search for "World trade center" "e pluribus unum" and "beirut barracks bombing". To whom should I have the gift certificate sent?

22. Kilroy  •  Sep 13, 2013 @5:36 am

You fail to consider that society will now never get to experience that greatness that would have been that comment. This is right up there Bill & Ted level time travel necessity. If the comment was never posted, the peaceful perfect society will never come to be!

23. Ashera  •  Sep 13, 2013 @5:40 am

…a reasonable failure mode for the WTC, a reference to the Beirut Barracks Bombing and one gyrene's response, and my interpretation of E Pluribus Unum…

Honestly, I kind of want to read it now.

24. Dan  •  Sep 13, 2013 @6:08 am

I have found a remarkable proof that 9/11 was an inside job, but this comment field is too small to contain it!

25. Nick42  •  Sep 13, 2013 @6:14 am

Methinks you should be careful, Ken. You may end up on the wrong side of a FOIA lawsuit. This subject has obviously identified that you are a part of the sekrit gov'mint blog cabal.

26. Virgil  •  Sep 13, 2013 @6:25 am

We all know that if [handle]'s comment had been about the role played by ponies in orchestrating 9/11, it would have been let through despite the thread being closed, amiright?

27. Darryl  •  Sep 13, 2013 @6:34 am

Does Ken even have a buffer?

28. Burnside  •  Sep 13, 2013 @6:38 am

To maximize the use of your more efficient buffers/filters, Consumer Reports suggests that you get your buffers/filters inspected each year by a BF professional, right before the Heating season. A quality Buffer/Filter should have a life of ten to fifteen years, if it’s kept in good condition.

29. Kat  •  Sep 13, 2013 @6:58 am

9 comments in the thread got closed. That's got to be some kind of record.

30. Clark  •  Sep 13, 2013 @7:16 am

@Darryl

Does Ken even have a buffer?

No one here at Popehat has a filter, if that helps.

31. Michael Donnelly  •  Sep 13, 2013 @7:31 am

Yes, Ken, please check your "buffers". Could you also search for my prior post about the inherent duality of man? Just go ahead and paste it into the admin search.

I think my post was something along the lines of "And this is why Arguing With People On The Internet About God tends to be pointless, because '; drop table posts; drop table users;"

Thanks in advance.

32. BCP  •  Sep 13, 2013 @7:47 am

Did the primary buffer panel just fall off my gorram post for no apparent reason?

33. En Passant  •  Sep 13, 2013 @7:57 am

Dan wrote Sep 13, 2013 @6:08 am:

I hope it's not your last one until Ken flushes his buffers and fermats his disk to make room for it. Germain commentary will have to do until somebody with enough wiles comes along to accomplish that.

34. Docrailgun  •  Sep 13, 2013 @7:57 am

BCP wins 2 Internet's.

35. Ron Larson  •  Sep 13, 2013 @8:08 am

Check your blog buffers? Seriously? Ha ha ha.

Deploy the UID deflectors! Change your turn signal fluid annually!

Tell this nut job..
    (1) He can run his own blog to publish his material for free.
    (2) Walmart is having a sale on aluminum foil for hat material.

36. I was Anonymous  •  Sep 13, 2013 @8:36 am

Mr. [handle] should just contact the NSA to get his post back.

37. Doctor X  •  Sep 13, 2013 @8:37 am

WHO[m--Ed.] DO YOU WORK FOR Ken?!!!111!!eleVENTY!

Yeah, my patience with tw00fers and their lot has worn thin beyond the ability to determine the thickness of really thin things.

38. Angstela  •  Sep 13, 2013 @8:44 am

Haha! I'm just happy to see this kind of crap happens everywhere. I see it most often on a play-by-post gaming site where a great many contributors feel that every sentence they type is gold and should be preserved at all costs by the site (but not so golden that they should, themselves, spend any time or effort to preserve their works for future generation).

Oh, Internets! You so crazy!

39. Crusty the Ex-Clown  •  Sep 13, 2013 @9:01 am

Last time I flew, TSA checked my buffers for free.

40. melK  •  Sep 13, 2013 @9:09 am

GHOSTCRAWLER PROMISED ME A PONY!

… wait, wrong thread.

… and now you see the ever-present danger of équidés mineurs.

41. nlp  •  Sep 13, 2013 @9:23 am

Ken, as much as I love you, there are times when I love your posse even more.

42. deskmerc  •  Sep 13, 2013 @9:29 am

Perhaps he could call his local NSA office and see if they have a copy of the HTTP POST request? I'd be willing to bet various keywords triggered an autosnarf of his submission.

43. nlp  •  Sep 13, 2013 @9:31 am

By the way, said posse may or may not be riding ponies.

44. R R Clark  •  Sep 13, 2013 @10:10 am

Ken, I am concerned that your buffer maintenance negligence has lost us the greatest manifesto of the last three hundred years. How do you intend to compensate me?

(hint: I accept ponies.)

45. Fasolt  •  Sep 13, 2013 @10:52 am

Maybe RMZ Fire Safety should switch from invoicing for Safety Inspections to charging for Buffer Maintenance. That is much more believable.

46. Fasolt  •  Sep 13, 2013 @11:10 am

I'm ALMOST interested in reading his "reference to the Beirut Barracks Bombing" just to see where he goes with that. I had lunch one day with a marine that was there that day and wonder if his response would be the same as his gyrene's response.

47. Ted K.  •  Sep 16, 2013 @3:15 am

@Fasolt – My reference to the Beirut Barracks Bombing was to point out what the first responders at the WTC had in common with the gyrenes. Namely – Semper Fidelis. [Case in point : A television news report several days after the bombing had the Commandant showing a scrawled note written by one of the wounded gyrenes. It read "Semper Fi".]

To me E Pluribus Unum is not a dusty phrase from a dead language. Instead it's a sort of prime directive that can lead to better communities. It's an invitation to all Americans to contribute to the common good. It can be physical like helping distribute food at a food bank / neighborhood pantry or virtual like commenting on a blog. The point is the many (Pluribus) contributing to the community (Unum).

P.S. I did try the back button on my browser – no joy. I also did a text scan of my drive to see if something had been cached – again, no joy. IIRC comment forms some years back had a CC: checkbox that would trigger the sending of a copy of one's remarks to one's inbox. Sometimes upgrades are also downgrades.