Miyoko Shida

Print This Post

David Byron

David Byron is a software developer working for the military-industrial complex. At Popehat, he writes about art, language, theater (mostly magic), technology, lyrics, and aleatory ephemera. Serious or satirical poetry spontaneously overflows from him while he's recollecting in tranquility. @dcbyron

26 Responses

1. Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries says:

That was amazing. Thank you for sharing the video.

2. Jack B. says:

This is one of those videos that reaffirms the beauty of human existence… until you read the YouTube comments.

3. Colin says:

@Jack B.

Thank you for warning me. I shall not read the YouTube comments… to live with the reaffirmation that much longer.

4. htom says:

Wow.

Things I would have always said could not be done.

Thanks for posting this, David, it brought cheers from me.

5. Felix says:

There's something exasperating about watching a video about the power of concentration only to find distracting cutaways to the audience.

What's next, a performance where the performers are the audience itself, and everyone sits around for an hour or two watching each other?

6. BaronLurk says:

Talent comes in many forms … Ms. Shida fills a wonderful niche that (as demonstrated by the YouTube comments) many sheeple just don't appreciate.

7. Lucy says:

What a thoroughly beautiful sculpture and process!

Thank you for posting this.

8. matthew says:

Hmm… I've seen this exact act before by someone else. Still incredible though.

9. apauld says:

Thanks for sharing, that was incredible.

10. princessartemis says:

That was beautiful.

11. David says:

@matthew She explains on what seems to be her facebook that she's one performer of this act for a group similar to Cirque du Soleil.

12. Ruth says:

Thanks, David. That was such a beautiful break from the chaos and rush of life.

13. Nobody says:

She must be very strong. Her hands don't move at all when she does that.

14. azteclady says:

Thank you for sharing this. Beauty and peace.

15. Ancel De Lambert says:

It would be much more enjoyable were it not directed and edited by a chimpanzee. This would be haunting and engrossing if it held a shot for more than ten seconds and didn't cover the screen in stupid faces I don't know and couldn't care less about.

16. Jon says:

@matthew, thanks for the link. While Shida's performance is more impressive (the feather is a nice touch, and she's more precise), the direction of that other version is far superior.

I can't help thinking — other countries seem to have a lot more patience for this sort of extended, meditative performance. I'm reminded of Kseniya Simonva's incredible painting on Ukraine's Got Talent a few years back (fingers crossed this works, otherwise search YouTube for it):

17. Mike says:

The amount of planning and either math or trial and error that had to go into constructing that piece is astonishing. The shape of the pieces are all designed to make it more naturally balance, but that doesn't make balancing it *easy*.

18. Bob says:

This is one of those things that while impressive and amazing makes me wonder about the person who did it the first time… Hey, I bet I could balance everything. Like everything, man. It'll be awesome.

19. Niall says:

Knowing the physics (and yes, math) involved behind it only makes me appreciate this more. I believe the whole weighs incredibly light, possibly each branch scarely more (yet have to be more) than the previous branch before for the balance to work. I knew she was going to put it up on the last curved piece, but for that to balance said piece all on its own… exquisite.

Transitory piece and sculpture as much about the mind as about the principles behind it. Also, the hands, perfect poise, control and yes, concentration.

Thank you.

20. Caleb says:

Here's one without all the annoying audience cut scenes:

21. Bill says:

This was so just flat out Bad Ass- why did some asshat have to do the constant flashes of white kanye, neck beard and the other motley crew members?

22. Steven H. says:

@Bill
    Presumably, the asshat thought you needed to see the audience reaction to know how incredible the performance was.
    Alas for him/her/it, the performance spoke volumes all by itself, without the addition of the audience shots….

23. Josh C says:

Amazing! Absolutely stupendous.

(@Jack B, try this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/nietzschederp/ )

24. TomB says:

Bah…

I did that with the skeleton of a pony once, with its head balanced on the end.

All to the theme of "The Godfather".

25. Byte says:

The 'original' by Madir Eugster is indeed the best one, there are more me-too's e.g. Lara Jacobs Rigolo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3jGKvEjDwI) who gives proper credit to Eugster for the choreography. I remember the first time seeing Eugster perform this act and was awestruck… it appears he is in full control of every muscle in his body.

1. May 13, 2013