A Family Research Project

Life

Years ago, my aunt found a picture of my grandfather's Harvard baseball team.

GrandpaHarvardTeam

This picture is probably from 1937 or 1938. That's my grandfather, Paul K. Doyle, in the middle row on the far left. I look a bit like him; I got the Doyle nose and lip.

Recently my aunt digitized the picture, and here it is.

I've started to research the team. I wrote to the Harvard Archives to see if they have a roster so I can put names to faces. I wonder — what happened to these young men? How many went to war like my grandfather? How many didn't come back? How many yet live? How many of us are walking about, descended from these men and trying to live by their example?

I'll look into it, and write it up.

Edit: as usual, our readers are awesome. Grifter points out the guy in the middle is Tony Lupien.

1. Brian Cuban  •  May 7, 2013 @10:41 am

Very cool Ken. Will be interested to see what you dig up

2. Grifter  •  May 7, 2013 @11:12 am

Very neat!

Baseball is one of the few sports I care about…they came in second overall those years, which is pretty good…I'm terrible with faces, but is that Tony Lupien in the middle there?

3. wolfefan  •  May 7, 2013 @11:18 am

It is very neat indeed! I agree with Grifter – that's Tony Lupien. You have an excellent eye.

4. Ken White  •  May 7, 2013 @11:39 am

You guys are awesome. Thanks.

5. naught_for_naught  •  May 7, 2013 @11:41 am

I wanted to be a baseball major in college, but I didn't have the stick. Instead, I wound up in the English department writing seduction poems that mostly didn't work.

6. Alan D.  •  May 7, 2013 @12:23 pm

Back row farthest to the the right (old guy) is Coach Fred Mitchell. If that is Tony Lupien then this is probably '37. Tom Bilodeau is in there somewhere.

Here is a roster in a Princeton Archive bit.ly/15nG7bN

7. Ken White  •  May 7, 2013 @12:25 pm

YOU ARE AWESOME.

8. Joanie Scott  •  May 7, 2013 @12:44 pm

Bilodeau is next to Lupien on his left. According to Harvard Yearbook on Ancestry.com, this appears to be the 1937 team. I think you may need a subscription to Ancestry.com for this link but I'm not sure.

9. Ken White  •  May 7, 2013 @1:02 pm

I researched Thomas H. Bilodeau. Couldn't find any pictures, but I found a lawyer in Boston who is a III. Wrote him to see if it might be his grandfather.

10. Jim Ancona  •  May 7, 2013 @1:14 pm

In addition to his major league career, Tony Lupien coached baseball at Dartmouth for 21 years (which I knew) and co-authored The Imperfect Diamond, "a definitive text on baseball labor from the introduction of the reserve clause in 1879 to the litigation in the 1970s that led to free agency".

According to Wikipedia, his grandson is WWE wrestler and actor John Cena. So that's another name to follow up with.

11. wolfefan  •  May 7, 2013 @1:17 pm

Have you looked at http://www.thecrimson.com ? The archives have lots of articles on this team including at least one boxscore with your grandfather. I would link it but I don't know how to use the tags to make a pretty link. My fave computer was my old PCjr and my skills stopped growing about then.

12. Canonical  •  May 7, 2013 @1:30 pm

Is it possible the photo is from '36? Paul K. Doyle ("Class of '38") is listed on the roster for that year here. Which link I hopefully did not muck-up.

13. Nate  •  May 7, 2013 @1:32 pm

My friend does a lot of genealogy. She uses this site: https://familysearch.org/
    And here is the site regarding the 1940 census: https://familysearch.org/1940census/?cid=fsHomeT1940Text_v2
    They are run by the LDS church. Unsurprisingly, the Mormons are quite good at keeping track of family history.

14. Canonical  •  May 7, 2013 @1:40 pm

Answers own question–duh! Ulysses "Tony" Lupien doesn't show up in any of the Crimson articles until 1937, so yes to '37 or '38. What an incredibly cool picture!

15. Palimpsest  •  May 7, 2013 @1:40 pm
  16. Canonical  •  May 7, 2013 @1:44 pm

A caveat on using FamilySearch.org–the filmed actual records are great stuff! I've been to the big library in SLC three times now to do genealogy research. The family trees entered by most folks are next to worthless unless the researcher specifies which primary source their info came from. Some of my (all non-Mormon) family have wound up there and you would not believe the misspelled names and how many times someone has put forth, say, an incorrect date of birth and dozens of others simply copied what that person had put down. Tread warily.

17. Nate  •  May 7, 2013 @1:57 pm

@Canonical: Good to know!! I haven't used it too much myself aside from random family member searches.

18. Canonical  •  May 7, 2013 @2:48 pm

Don't let me put you off of them–the primary source stuff is stupendous. You have access to filmed copies of the original records from all over the world and you can even, for a nominal fee, have particular films sent to your local LDS family research library negating the trip to SLC. A lot of the state archives/state libraries have digitized information and newspapers that're searchable and printable right from the web. Fun stuff, if a little infuriating at times. :)

19. Canonical  •  May 7, 2013 @2:53 pm

Gah! Forgot to mention one–check with your local library for free access to Ancestry.com. Many libraries have a library license to access it and one of the things available are WW1 and WW2 draft registration cards. If you never got to meet a relative, you can find out his height, weight, eye color and skin tone. Kind of cool, really.

20. chug  •  May 7, 2013 @4:47 pm

Ken, try posting the photo on DeadFred.com, a photo geneaology site. I've used it a few times with surprising results (all good results).

21. Narad  •  May 7, 2013 @5:52 pm

Have you looked at http://www.thecrimson.com ?

Yup. The roster for the spring vacation road trip is here, although that leaves two players from the photo unaccounted for.

22. whheydt  •  May 7, 2013 @8:36 pm

Your *grand*father? You're a young whippersnapper. My grandparents were all born in 1880, plus or minus a couple of years. Go back one generation and you have a Civil War cavalry officer and a a greatgrandfather that came to the US to avoid being drafted for the Franco-Prussian War of 1870. Come forward one generation to my father and you have someone who watched the parade in NYC for returning AEF.

23. AlphaCentauri  •  May 8, 2013 @12:02 am
  24. Canonical  •  May 8, 2013 @8:05 am

Hmmm…maybe we need a genealogy thread in the forum?