A Quick Look At The Complaints Against Kadyrbayev, Tazhayakov, and Phillipos

You may also like...

17 Responses

1. Nicholas Weaver says:

OK, so only one of the three (Phillipos) is charged only with "talking lying to the FBI".

Boy, you really NEVER EVER EVER want to talk to the cops.

2. KC says:

Looking forward to more conspiracy theories! What are we up to now, 5 "lone wolves" plus some mysterious female DNA?

3. KC says:

And in your previous post, you point out the danger of saying ANYTHING to the feds – if one's statement is not consistent with what they believe to be the truth, you will be charged with the felony of lying to federal agents. Martha Stewart and Scooter Libby are prime examples.

4. Kirk Taylor says:

You should especially not talk to the Feds if your story is so stupid and transparently provable false that there is no way the truth won't come out.

Any chance they would have come out fairly unscathed if they had lawyered up and/or admitted to being stupid during an emotional moment about their friends?

5. Kirk Taylor says:

The and/or part means I assume a good lawyer would have had them come clean pretty damn quick once he knew it would all come out anyway.

6. MattS says:

"I'm going to have to come up with more conspiracy theories."

Please leave the conspiracy theories to the CIA meta conspiracy.

/tinfoil hat^2

7. Steve Florman says:

I love it when I'm catching up on Popehat posts and I get to the bottom of one, and see in the "Most Recent" list that a new one has been posted while I was reading. Dang, it's like Christmas – which I, despite my Mormon non-trinitarianism, celebrate along with Patrick and 273 million other Americans. :)

8. Nicholas Weaver says:

Steve: Now all it will take is a Prenda Lunacy Update, and this day will be complete…

9. Nobody says:

> Now all it will take is a Prenda Lunacy Update, and this day will be complete…

I just checked recap, but all I see are the statements saying they join Paul Duffy in complaining about the propriety of admitting evidence that makes them look like weasel crap. Am I the only one who pictures those "I'm with stupid" t-shirts when they read all those statements where all they do is say that they join Duffy in making the same arguments?

10. bkd69 says:

These are obviously camouflage charges to mask what they already know about their Chechen handlers.

11. BradnSA says:

Why wouldn't the foreigners be on a plane to gitmo to find out what they know instead of being charged with obstruction? Doesn't seem like much of a charge.

12. Chris R. says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc <—– Don't talk to police. Even if you're trying to be helpful. Without an attorney present.

13. BradnSA says:

@ken 4:59 Not literally, but what about accessory after the fact or something that would seem like a stronger charge than obstuction. I read somewhere that they got rid of computers also.

I obviously know nothing about the law, so I read the post at here and Volokh. Thanks in advance.

14. Tarrou says:

Wow, it's a fucking avalanche of lone wolves these days! It's pretty crazy coincidence that a suspected bomber heads "home" to an area ridden with terrorist training camps for six months. Then you've got extra people handling the explosives, others running cleanup. I tell ya, these folks have some sort of cleaning fetish. Really shocking how well all these disparate people managed to have a hand in a bombing without any organization. I mean, that's better coordination than you get from most branches of government. Perhaps there's some sort of overmind, probably conservative republican, controlling all these random acts.

1. May 1, 2013

[...] Ken from Popehat is on it: [...]

2. May 1, 2013

[...] A Quick Look At The Complaints Against Kadyrbayev, Tazhayakov, and Phillipos | Popehat Quote: [...]