Origin of the Pirate Resignation Letter

Print This Post

David Byron

David Byron is a software developer working for the military-industrial complex. At Popehat, he writes about art, language, theater (mostly magic), technology, lyrics, and aleatory ephemera. Serious or satirical poetry spontaneously overflows from him while he's recollecting in tranquility. @dcbyron

You may also like...

23 Responses

1. MikeK says:

"googling in my favorite search engine" – nice!

2. Lucy says:

The reply was great! Moving along as if there was just nothing seen. :-)

3. Captain Pugwash says:

I am about to move on to a new position and once the finalized offer comes in I just know now how I am going to inform my manager and director of my decision. Just change a couple of names and its perfect!

4. Mike says:

The MP's reply was what made my stomach ache with laughter:

"My name is not Jimbo"

5. Sean C says:

My name is not Jimbo!

Anyone else read that in Sylvester Stallone's voice?

6. Hughhh says:

Traffic travels in both directions on the road to Popehat .

7. Wayne Borean says:

Let me see – would that be the Chris Castle who can't stand criticism, when you point out that he's an idiot about copyright?

After all, there can't be that many people named Chris Castle. Can there?

Wayne

8. Doug says:

The date on the letter at the beginning and the date of resignation are off by several years. Just saying.

9. David says:

@Doug,

I suppose the fellow who posted it, Otter Von Pop, typed the current date (17-Oct-2003), even though the letter itself references 03-May-2001 as the date of the actual resignation.

As OVP says at the top of his post, he "suck[s] at this whole computer thing… sorry". ;)

10. Kevin says:

@Wayne Borean: If it's the same guy as this Chris Castle, then he would seem to have taken quite a different career path than "pirate".

tl;dr version of the linked article: Because Google opposed SOPA, obviously they must be drug dealing terrorist sympathizers.

11. Aimee says:

I don't know how you guys found that Chris Castle, but the one I found seems to have left law entirely and went into business:

12. Bill says:

I can't tell if it's the same Chris Castle or not, but for a guy that's such a techy, he sure has a really sucky web site that doesn't even have anything noteworthy on it other than self-masturbatory links all over the place. Since both of these guys are really revved up about IP, since he went solo, I strongly suspect it's the same guy – but need to do a little more searching

13. Jon says:

Linkedin Chris is definitely the same guy, since he's got KMOB on his resume. HuffPo Chris doesn't appear to be the same guy; he's located in Austin, Texas and the other Chris has been in California for his entire professional life. Bill, unless you are looking at some other web site, that's not Chris' personal site — it's LinkedIn.

14. PLW says:

I think it's got to be the LinkedIn guy, and it looks like he is getting plenty of use out of the resignation letter.

15. Bill says:

@Jon – the guy that wrote the huffpo piece is def linked in dude, I was just trying to determine if pirate guy and huffpo guy were the same.not sure

16. Doug says:

@ken. That response letter was very funny.

17. The Bartender says:

Thank you for finding this! I found the response letter sometime ago – thoroughly enjoyed. I must admit that your assumption here: "It's possible that you are overqualified." was likely spot-on at that time.

18. Wayne Borean says:

He's probably going to be wondering why so many people are looking at his profile :)

Wayne

19. David says:

@Wayne Borean
    That is he, right above thee. Ostensibly.

20. Wayne Borean says:

Yes, I see. Glad to see he kept his sense of humor :)

The Chris Castle I had the disagreement with is the one who runs the Music Tech Policy blog, and who doesn't like comments which disagree with him. In fact at one point he disabled comments totally, probably because no one except the RIAA and MPAA liked what he had to say.

He tried to claim he represented artists, and possibly he does, but the line he takes appears to favor the labels over the artists. I would not recommend him as a lawyer to any artist needing legal help.

Wayne

21. Shane says:

And now this.

22. efemmeral says:

Nice work. And only 139 more days till Talk-Like-A-Pirate day.