Kickstart: Torment

Art, Gaming

Do you remember with fond affection that masterpiece of PC gaming, Planescape: Torment? Have you never heard of Planescape: Torment? Do you wish you could dropstop everything right now and replay Planescape: Torment?

Well, you're not alone. But Big Publishing is too rational or terrified to make that sort of game anymore.

Happily, we can acknowledge the waning importance of what Big Publishing thinks about this or anything else, for we now have tubes full of Kickstarter. (What can change the nature of games publishing?)

Many of the folks who made Planescape: Torment now work at inXile, and they're making a new game: Torment: Tides of Numenera.

Not actually a sequel to the previous game's story, which is self-contained (and recursive), Tides of Numenera will offer the same kind of thematically rich content within the framework of Monte Cook's (already fundedNumenera RPG system.

Anyhow, the studio's Kickstarter campaign began this morning and raised its 30-day target of $900,000 in six hours. That should tell you something about how the fans of Planescape: Torment regard this franchise and these developers and this plan.

There's still plenty of time to buy in, and there are plenty of perqs for berks, so if this is the sort of thing you're likely to like, then you know what to do!

Last 5 posts by David

1. rmv  •  Mar 6, 2013 @2:16 pm

Yes, thank you.

2. Josh C  •  Mar 6, 2013 @2:16 pm

!!!

Best news all week!

3. Vomer  •  Mar 6, 2013 @2:18 pm

Even with the annoying fetch quests and the broken combat it is still one of the best RPGs ever made.

4. David  •  Mar 6, 2013 @2:19 pm

Not only that, but the other former Torment developers are making their own spiritual successor in "Project Eternity" (Kickstarter already concluded), which includes the head writer of the original game. So it's a good time to be alive, is what I'm saying.

5. Andy  •  Mar 6, 2013 @2:33 pm

Hmmm, entertainment in the other posts, and now the real news….. A new Planescape.

Maybe I can have my hair go back to dark brown and my waist go back to 30" as well when this takes me back to my youth.

6. Merissa  •  Mar 6, 2013 @2:55 pm

I really enjoyed P:T. It was my first RPG and incredibly immersive. I also remember the graphics being excellent for that era.

7. Noah Callaway  •  Mar 6, 2013 @7:16 pm

Gah. More money out of the pocket. Thanks David.

Seriously, thanks. Planescape was incredible, and I can't wait for this, now.

8. Luke  •  Mar 6, 2013 @10:51 pm

Even though the Kickstarter for Project Eternity has ended, they have a "backer" option on their website. You can't do the extra reward levels, it's just for the game itself when released but it is still likely much cheaper than what the game will retail for.

I really hope Torment & Eternity are spaced out, else my wife will be very unhappy.

9. princessartemis  •  Mar 6, 2013 @10:58 pm

Somehow, I don't know how, I missed Planescape: Torment the first time around. Found it on GOG, and love it. This makes news makes me a happy camper indeed.

10. Aufero  •  Mar 6, 2013 @11:41 pm

The booming cry of "Hell, yes!!" coming from my breakfast table this morning when I saw the Kickstarter startled a couple of dogs into bewilderment.

I'm not at all surprised it only took six hours to fund it. I look forward to the stretch goals, most of which will probably also be funded.

11. Todd S.  •  Mar 7, 2013 @7:34 am

A friend who (upcoming blasphemy) I still play Diablo 3 with, mentioned this last night and I signed up this morning. I never played the first one (but I bought it). Since I'm a Wasteland 2 supporter already, I wanted to continue to support both Kickstarter and inXile.

12. Grandy  •  Mar 7, 2013 @11:51 am

Fascinating; apparently a mystery donor has agreed to back 10 cents on the dollar for every dollar raised between 2M and 3M. I would be shocked if it didn't hit 3M. Shocked, I says.

13. David  •  Mar 7, 2013 @4:25 pm

14. Anony Mouse  •  Mar 10, 2013 @12:35 am

I'm personally looking forward to that apology at two million…

15. David  •  Apr 5, 2013 @5:22 pm