Facebook

Geekery, Meta

We have a Facebook page, which like the gym, the kids, the dog, the cat, the taxes, the rent, and Mom (as she never ceases reminding us) we've neglected.

But we're considering reviving it.  The thought is, Facebook may be a good home for other things we've neglected, things that suffer under the weight of Ken's walls of text, things too delicate for Patrick's sarcasm, things that burn under David's glare. Things like this:

Popehat on Facebook

This will be a supplement to the blog, something like an Island of Misfit Toys, in which things that don't quite make it in will be given attention. It will not displace our Twitter feed, which is mostly devoted to announcing new posts, conversations with other twits, and the inevitable schizophrenic battles between Ken and Patrick, each of whom has access to the account and neither of whom pays attention to what the other has written.

Expect the painfully geeky. If you'd like to follow it, search for Popehat on Facebook, and you'll find us.

Last 5 posts by Popehat

1. Deadly Laigrek  •  Jan 5, 2013 @9:56 am

This would be awesome if I actually, you know, used Facebook. This may force me to actually care and get an account.

2. a_random_guy  •  Jan 5, 2013 @10:01 am

Actually care about Facebook? Given the privacy abuses that happen there like clockwork, I'll pass.

3. Analee  •  Jan 5, 2013 @10:45 am

Favorite character, fictional or historical, known for wearing a headband or bandanna?

For me, gotta be Little Steven Van Zandt from The E Street Band.

4. gramps  •  Jan 5, 2013 @10:46 am

What they said.

5. gramps  •  Jan 5, 2013 @10:48 am

Meaning a_random and Deadly.

Headband? Tonto, of course.

6. JeremyT  •  Jan 5, 2013 @11:22 am

I am interested!

However, is there perhaps some way you could publish this content other than Facebook? Cause, you know… Facebook.

7. M.  •  Jan 5, 2013 @12:17 pm

Deep. Twitter sounds amusing. Perhaps I should get one.

8. Efemmeral  •  Jan 5, 2013 @4:34 pm

Facebook? Heck, I'm still working on your archives. Does anything ever happen with the forum?

9. Shay  •  Jan 5, 2013 @8:32 pm

Analee — Jess Harper (actor Robert Fuller) in "Laramie."

Smokin'.

10. AlphaCentauri  •  Jan 5, 2013 @8:45 pm

Why do you need a Facebook page?

11. Efemmeral  •  Jan 5, 2013 @8:53 pm

They need approval? (snork)

12. Doug  •  Jan 5, 2013 @9:24 pm

he needs Facebook so he can get to know intimately the crazy nuts who post here.

13. Analee  •  Jan 5, 2013 @9:47 pm

@ Shay: Just looked up Robert Fuller on Google Image Search so I could re-associate a face with that name (used to watch Westerns frequently with my late father, and they're just not as fun to watch alone), and DAMN. My vote still goes to Van Zandt because I'm a die-hard Springsteen fan, but DAMN. I approve!

14. Kirk Taylor  •  Jan 6, 2013 @9:15 am

Interesting hostility to Facebook. Did anyone seriously expect privacy and a lack of marketing and tracking? It's still a great way to keep in contact with the minor characters and stories from 25 years, 4 submarines 3 shore duties and dozens of cities in a Naval career.

Just don't post anything you don't want everyone in the world to know about.

15. Patrick  •  Jan 6, 2013 @12:09 pm

Why do you need a Facebook page?

Why do I need a second heart?

16. Grandy  •  Jan 6, 2013 @4:25 pm

This inspired me to order a copy of the Star Blazers live action movie that had english subtitles (and was all-region). We'll see how this goes.

17. Joe Pullen  •  Jan 6, 2013 @6:51 pm

I had a Facebook account once, but I seem to have misplaced it. Hey is this thing on?

18. htom  •  Jan 6, 2013 @7:57 pm

Like, and Jimi Hendrix is always the first person I think of in a bandana.

I ignored FB for years and was finally dragged into it by my sister and some other family. It's also useful for some odd groups I belong to. Ignore the games, the apps, the requests to click, lock down your privacy, and you can be ok there.

19. wgering  •  Jan 6, 2013 @9:45 pm

@Patrick: …because you're a Time Lord?

20. andrews  •  Jan 7, 2013 @4:33 am

Those of you who are lawyers may want to consider whether having a facebook page may implicate your state bar's advertising regulation. In some states, that regulation may be oppressive, or, as in this state, may be in process of becoming oppressive.

If you have to submit your facebook page to the advertising committee as it changes, it could make having a facebook page rather a dicey proposition.

21. David Aubke  •  Jan 7, 2013 @6:46 am

I second Kirk Taylor. Facebook is no more dangerous or evil than any other free service. Just don't post anything you don't want to be made public. I haven't paid very close attention but from what I can gather, the "privacy settings" are not to be trusted.

22. a_random_guy  •  Jan 7, 2013 @7:05 am

Sure, it's well known that Facebook makes money off of its users' data. I'm not "hostile" to it at all. However, I am uninterested in having my data mined, therefore I do not use it.

By the way, don't think you can outsmart Facebook with pseudonyms or whatever. My wife has an account under a pseudonym, filled with falsified personal data. that she has only ever used to look at things like what Popehat is planning. She gets the world's creepiest emails from Facebook. Creepy, because they keep asking her to reconnect to people she really does know. In other words, Facebook had zero difficulty figuring out who she really is.

23. Patrick  •  Jan 7, 2013 @7:15 am

Andrews, you understand that we're not seeking, soliciting, or speaking to clients on Facebook?

You understand that Popehat is not a law firm?

You do understand that?

24. David Aubke  •  Jan 7, 2013 @8:22 am

@a_random_guy,
    I think you've got to disable cookies (in all their various forms) and/or use an alternate browser or even OS to prevent ANY website from easily figuring out who you are. The other sites just don't have any reason to reveal to you how much they know.

25. naught_for_naught  •  Jan 7, 2013 @8:23 am

Why do I need a second heart?

Dick?

26. PiperTom  •  Jan 7, 2013 @9:13 am

It's sad that the first facebook post I encountered from popehat was a link to a gratuitous piece on "corporate personhood" and (brace yourself) car pool lanes! The piece asserted that it had some bearing on the Citizens United decision. But "corporate personhood" was not at issue in Citizens United, which concerned freedom of association in connection with freedom of expression. Yes, forming a corporation is one way of associating with your fellows and you don't lose your right when you do that.

Shame on unknown poster from popehat for this travestry.

27. Patrick  •  Jan 7, 2013 @10:43 am

Linking is not the same as endorsement, Mister Microphone.

28. corporal lint  •  Jan 7, 2013 @11:29 am

My experience has been very different; I have a fake account and Facebook clearly has no idea who I am. The account is full of fake likes and a fake life history (my poor guy spent 22 years working in an Orange Julius, until he got a job designing "underwater living units") and I get regular emails from Facebook asking me to be friends with people in Phoenix. I've never been to Phoenix.