Perhaps The Marketeer Thought I Had Changed My Mind. I Haven't.

You may also like...

20 Responses

1. Megan says:

"You might be asking why I'm not naming names. It's for specific legal and strategic reasons. Stay tuned."

That, and Feculent Q. Pus-Crust is quite likely far more entertaining than the individual's actual name.

2. Christopher says:

I worked in telemarketing (awful, hated job and profession) before quiting and going after my masters in marketing. I would often copy and paste text into a new email for a client. I wouldn't do it before we'd spoken, and I'd sure as hell try to be a little more personal and less deceptive, but I'm betting I know how this guy defines hand written. He uses an excel sheet of contacts stolen from websites, listings, etc., probably the california secretary of business listings, and will "handwrite" each email by changing a name and a business title.

3. Kilroy says:

What is an automated email? Sounds like the guy writes his own emails and then manually hits "send" to hundreds and hundreds of attorneys. So not really automated, but still spam.

4. AlphaCentauri says:

The rules of spam:
    1. Spammers lie.
    2. If a spammer appears to be telling the truth, see rule #1.
    3. Spammers are stupid.

(More rules and corollaries at http://bruce.pennypacker.org/2005/02/28/the-rules-of-spam/ )

5. " Stay tuned."
    …with rapt excitement.

6. dfbaskwill says:

Popcorn at the ready. Give him Hell on Earth.

7. Dan says:

Confession: I integrated "feculent" into my regular lexicon after the original January 2012 post.

I certainly hope these "specific legal and strategic reasons" are entertaining for me, and highly damaging to Mr. Pus-Crust's business model.

8. Dan Weber says:

He became quite angry and threatened me with suit.

popcorn

9. Anglave says:

@Dan

idiolect

Not trying to be snarky, you seem to enjoy words. Thought I'd toss you that one to replace "lexicon".

10. AlphaCentauri says:

Well, if he sent that email to anyone else, every single Google hit for "pre-screened (for financial capability)" leads to Popehat.

Looking at it from the client side, I found an example of a site soliciting potential clients, with a helpful pulldown menu for them to say whether they can pay or not. (There's your pre-screening for you.) And the form is transmitted unencrypted (there's no https), a pretty egregious privacy violation:
    hxxp://www.1000attorneys.com/california-attorney-referral.php

11. KronWeld says:

Not Germane to this post, but interesting to read anyway. Another lawyer brought to task over their misunderstanding of copyright law.

12. Z says:

"Mr. Feculent Q. Pus-Crust of the Society For Cornholing Unsuspecting Children"

So I gather you're not all that fond of the gentleman?

13. Analee says:

Mr. Pus-Crust keeps using that word "automated." I do not think it means what he thinks it means.

Also he probably eats paste.

14. G Thompson says:

Are you telling me that in the USA potential clients can go onto some "legal' database and tell all that they have been accused of in a case in their own words and seeing as these databases, due to not being run by attorneys (and especially not ones that have these individuals as clients) are therefore able to be accessed by subpoena, no legal privilege defence, giving prosecutions lots of interesting admissions?

WOW! Who'd want to be a defence solicitor when its so easy to prosecute! *facepalm*

Though Ken, the phrase "accused of lewd and lucidious [sic] acts" might not be a bad thing.. Think of it.. how cool would it be to have actual LUCID clients and lewd ones too? woot!

15. Matthew Cline says:

So I gather you're not all that fond of the gentleman?

Why, whatever gave you that idea?

16. David Aubke says:

@AlphaCentauri

I dunno, that 1000attorneys site seems legit to me. Maybe you didn't notice that guy's bow tie?

17. AlphaCentauri says:

My bad. Clearly, he has serious geek cred. Must be some new encryption protocol I've never heard of.

18. AlphaCentauri says:

Same company owns 800usalaw.com, by the way. No https there, either.

19. Bill says:

He should be fed to the ponies

20. Keith says:

Stop trying to kill the ponies, you.