Mo The Rutabaga Isn't Safe In The U.S., Either

You may also like...

12 Responses

1. Trebuchet says:

Thanks Ken. I'm 100% in agreement with you on this topic, just wanted to point out it's far from just a UK thing. I expect you could expect some difficulty at other US universities for naming your rutabaga "Jesus".

2. C. S. P. Schofield says:

Frankly, I would prefer;

“We respect you and your rights, and we will defend you and your rights from violence and government oppression, but if you find certain kinds of speech offensive you should grow a pair and man up you whining little wankers.”

3. Liberaltarian says:

It's strange how so many people, people of normal intelligence who have no trouble at all understanding "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth", are utterly unable to grasp the concept behind "a word for a word and a criticism for a criticism".

4. AlphaCentauri says:

The problem is the cases where free expression overlaps with real threats. If the new African American residents in a neighborhood look out to see a cross burning in the yard across the street, they will rightly consider that a threat of bodily harm, based on the history of the KKK burning crosses as warnings of violence. The neighbor is probably just a bluffing asshole, but he could possibly be psychotic and really mean it. If the same neighbor instead posts a sign that says,"N–s go back to Africa," with no actual threat of violence, the actual risk of him becoming violent may be the equal, but it would be easier to call it protected speech.

5. M. says:

@Liberaltarian: That's because they don't actually understand "turnabout is fair play." They understand "it's all about me, me, me."

6. James Pollock says:

I've never understood why people who believe in an omnipotent deity feel any need to intercede in worldly affairs on His behalf.

7. ru says:

On a (somewhat) lighter note (but still face-palm-worthy), let us enjoy this little gem from the Great White North:

8. somebody says:

I've noticed a worrying trend in recent months: In some progressive-minded Internet communities that I frequent, Muslims have become defined as a race, and criticism of Islam, by extension, has become defined as racism (and thus bannable.) The operators of the internet communities have a right to make whatever rules and definitions they want, of course, but the implications still bother me.

I have to wonder: How did people come to define a religious belief system as a race?

9. Rich Rostrom says:

somebody: They say "racism" when they should say "bigotry". It's a stupid error, but understandable. "Racism" is the most excoriated form of bigotry – what everyone crusaded against in the last century.

(Religious bigotry was still around in the 1900s, but had largely been beaten down to trivial levels. Unlike racism, which was a foundation of Nazism, the South African government, and the Dixiecrat South.)

So when people want to say "bad prejudice" they tend to say "racism".

Then also, ethnicity and religion are frequently linked. Moslems are mostly non-"white". (The "racial" status of caucasoid-but-swarthy Middle Easterners is borderline.) So alleged anti-Moslem bigotry is mislabeled "racism".

10. AlphaCentauri says:

"Race" is a pretty bizarre concept. Europeans defined the rest of the world in relationship to themselves. By all logic, Europe is not a separate "continent," and the Caucasus isn't really part of it anyway.

11. Doug Browne says:

Race is also a concept that has changed over time. In the 19th century you heard people speaking of the Irish race (some promoting Irish solidarity, others wanting their immigration capped) or the Italian race. Today both of those ethnic groups would generally be called "white," at least in the USA.

12. ~A says:

I have been reading popehat for quite a while, and as a recent graduate of UK university (lthough non-law related), I thought It would be interesting to share this:

Bad taste theme? Potentially, but… really? fines, public work and suspension for pointing out the British DJ Jimmy Savile controversy? Reminded me of the Pineapple Mohamed and RUSU.