Popehat Signal: Blogger and Commenters Need Help In Jefferson County, Ohio

Print This Post

You may also like...

22 Responses

1. David says:

Going after the commenters? God, people make me sick.

The only times I regret not continuing down the prelaw path after freshman year are when the Popehat Signal goes up. Hope whoever does sign up kicks some ass.

(And if it's the case I'm thinking of, local politics do seem like a likely factor. All the more reason for them to have all the help they can get.)

2. jb says:

Ken,
    While I lack the legal background to help with the case, I do admire what you're doing, and I want to offer my help. Also, I owe you guys for introducing me to Marian Call. Perhaps a separate blog just for reposting calls for pro-bono support first-amendment issues? Or a webapp where interested lawyers can register, and receive email alerts for pro-bono requests in their state? (I write webapps for a living). Or something else?

Happy to pay all the associated expenses, not looking to make money, just want to help.

3. joe schmoe says:

What's the kids name? Perhaps we should all post truthful things about this rapist piece of crap all over the web.

4. Ken says:

Joe, the purpose of this post is to seek legal assistance for threatened bloggers and commenters. I may report on the story later. But I have seen nothing suggesting that the individual himself is suspected of rape, as my post specifically says.

5. Caudex says:

Unfortunately I'm not a lawyer, so I can't help much. But if you need a bored English Major (nothing else to do but study) for anything, I'm your guy. I need to feel like I'm doing something to fix the system.

6. Caudex says:

Jeez, that sentence doesn't make me look like a very smart English Major. But I think it's still comprehensible. Now, I need to sleep. Fall Behind is right…fall behind on sleep.

7. Holly Briley says:

Not only are they going after the blogger and commentators, the sympathizers are now going after anyone who blogs about this. This is the only way those of us who are not in the legal field can help, and they are trying to silence us. For shame. I will keep blogging this in my efforts to help as long as it takes. I hope you find some good people to help these folks.. we are all under attack with this.

8. Gal says:

The story isn't hard to find. Wow. Such exemplary parenting.

9. En Passant says:

Ken wrote in OP:

This may be a case like the Planet Valenti matter where local power politics play a role.

Found the criminal case, the blogger, and some info on the civil case. Without mentioning names or speculating and contributing to a s***storm, I think it is worth noting in support of your observation above that (if my deductions about the case are correct) both the judge and lo cal prosecutor in the juvy case have recused themselves. The former was replaced by a retired judge from a nearby county and the latter by state prosecutors.

10. En Passant says:

To clarify my observation above (sorry for posting before thinking it through thoroughly): The recusals appear to be for perfectly legitimate reasons that often occur when high profile locals are accused of crimes. The officials appear to have had some personal acquaintance with persons involved in the case.

That would indicate some good ethical decisions by the public officials, especially if local politics pressured them to proceed otherwise.

11. Dan Weber says:

Unfortunately for our society, I found multiple possible real life stories this one could be. :(

12. Scott says:

I am an administrator of a criminology blog, not associated with the one mentioned in your posting, but I am willing to help in any way I can. My experiences include Legal document writing and a variety of knowledge. In some cases where the defendant (or prosecutor) cannot afford the fees associated with the case, the Judge can grant a waiver, though at the moment, I cannot recall the legal term. Anything I can do, let me know. http://criminologyjust.blogspot.com I am Scott

13. AlphaCentauri says:

They're going after commenters criticizing rapists and rape-voyeurs, but not the people tweeting about how hilarious it was to rape "a dead body" after the photo was posted on facebook?? No wonder the kid's messed up. He wouldn't recognizd morals if they've never entered the door to his family home.

14. ElSuerte says:

I really hope this doesn't turn out to be one of those 'bad clients make bad law' things, like Crystal Cox. If I found the blog you're talking about the blogger seems a bit of a crank. He spent around three very looong posts attacking the DA who recused herself. He spends an inordinate amount of text (Complete with a biblical rant) attacking her for being a character witness at a sentencing hearing, and seems to be claiming this is evidence of general impropriety and proclivity to conspire against justice. (The defendant in the sentencing hearing was a life long friend of her child, and she'd know the defendant since he was a child.)

15. ElSuerte says:

Also, I'm a little confused about the fact/opinion division.

Isn't the allegation that so and so stood around and photographed a rape in progress a allegation/statement of fact?

16. KronWeld says:

@ElSuerte Being a jerk doens't mean you lose your 1st Amendment rights. Also, you shouldn't have a right to sue over being butthurt.

17. Bill says:

@Ken – I wrote you privately but decided to go find out what this was all about – your word is more than good enough for me – but figured I'd just see what I could find. Uhhhh! Well, anything I can do to help – sign me up.

18. Mad Hatter says:

ElSuerte, the blogger in question is a woman and she is also an atheist. Sermons aren't her thing. The blog being sued is at http://www.prinniefied.com Hope this helps.

19. ElSuerte says:

@ Madd Hatter, Ah thanks, I thought it was this guy http://behindtheyellowtape.me/2012/10/27/jane-hanlins-busick-testimony/ who did a blog radio show with the prinniefied blogger.

@Kronweld, yes, I agree.

20. Fred says:

Is the minimum IQ required to understand Celsius or Fahrenheit?

21. Marc J. Randazza says:

Post the complaint, man!

1. November 6, 2012

[…] Read Ken's entire post regarding this on Popehat by clicking link below. Popehat Signal: Blogger and Commenters Need Help In Jefferson County, Ohio. […]