It's been more than two months since Patrick announced that we'd joined the Amazon affiliate program in an effort to defray some of the cost of running Popehat. Today I'm reporting on how it's going.
1. You all ordered 244 items through our affiliate links, buying $5,287.59 worth of merchandise, netting us $308.01.
2. If you all buy 7 more items, our referral rate goes up to 6%.
3. This amount was somewhat less than the costs of Dreamhost (for hosting) and Woopra (for traffic monitoring) during this period. That's largely my fault. During my hiatus, I didn't bother to reduce our bandwidth and monitoring plans from the higher levels required during, for instance, the huge surge of traffic during the Oatmeal v. FunnyJunk era. My bad.
4. We told you all before that we were going to donate excess money to the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education every quarter. Because it's my own damn fault that there wasn't any excess during this period because I didn't dial the plans back when I was on hiatus, I've just made a $250 donation to FIRE. They can always use more. Please consider donating.
5. I CAN SEE WHAT YOU ORDER. Ha! Kidding! I can only see what "you" collectively order. There's no way to tell what any particular person orders; that's private. But we can see in the aggregate the sorts of things Popehat readers like. So — the person who ordered The Law of Superheroes from our link yesterday, good on you. The people who ordered the The Bloggess' book Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir), I hope that you, like me, laughed so hard that you had a coughing fit and greyed out for a minute. The person who has time to play Dark Souls — I envy you. The people who bought Metallica — rock on. Whoever bought all-purpose lubricant: I hope that you had a really productive weekend around the house, or a really awesome one, depending.
We're never going to make money off of this, but it's nice not to have to spend too much out of our own pockets, and it will be nice if we can throw some bucks to a free-speech charity now and then. Thanks again.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- A Few Notes On Lois Lerner And The Fifth Amendment - March 5th, 2014
- LEAVE HOUSTON CITY ATTORNEY DAVID M. FELDMAN ALONE - March 4th, 2014
- The Kaley Forfeiture Decision: What It Looks Like When The Feds Make Their Ham Sandwich - February 27th, 2014
- Controlling Public Art By Lawsuit: Japanese-American Citizens Sue To Remove "Comfort Women" Memorial - February 25th, 2014
- Rep. Steve Stockman (R-TX) Files Highly Questionable Defamation Suit - February 23rd, 2014