Regular readers know that I occasionally offer pro bono legal assistance to bloggers threatened with frivolous and censorious lawsuits. When I've not been able to offer services myself, and have used this space to solicit pro bono help for threatened bloggers, I've consistently been heartened by the generosity of lawyers and non-lawyers alike.
Today I am proud to be offering pro bono services as local litigation counsel to Patrick Frey, who blogs as Patterico. One Nadia Naffe has filed a vexatious federal suit against Patrick and his wife in retaliation for Patrick's exercise of his rights under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. The estimable and formidable Ron Coleman, who blogs at Likelihood of Confusion, will be lead counsel, and is also acting pro bono.
As a Deputy District Attorney, Mr. Frey is a professional adversary. As a blogger, he is substantially to the right of me, and though I respect his abilities and his honesty, I disagree with him more often than not. But I am honored to have the opportunity to serve him in defense of crucial free speech principles in the face of an abusive and politically motivated lawsuit.
This is exactly the sort of censorious and chilling lawsuit I would normally critique and analyze here in detail, but I will not be doing so. Though I may post occasional pleadings and motion practice, we will make our points in court.
Comments on this post are closed.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Prenda Law: The Sound of One Shoe Dropping - May 20th, 2013
- This Is The Most Wonderful Legal Threat EVER - May 17th, 2013
- OMICS Publishing Group Makes A Billion Dollar Threat - May 15th, 2013
- Rakofsky Versus The Internet: Advantage, Internet - May 12th, 2013
- Hilarious New Team Prenda Argument: Judge Wright's Order Is Irrelevant Because of Gay Marriage - May 9th, 2013