LIKE A BOSS: I was all set to sue Jordan Rushie for stealing and making commercial use of my line. But then I got to the part where he attached a copy of the First Amendment to his response to a threat letter. Now I want to swipe that. Then we'll be even.
MY LORD, I HAVE A CUNNING PLAN: Lawyers representing Professor Michael Mann of hockey stick fame have written a threatening letter to the National Review based on a Mark Steyn post comparing Penn State's exoneration of Professor Mann with its inadequate supervision of Jerry Sandusky. Steyn, in turn, quotes Rand Simberg, a man with the rhetorical taste and subtlety of a thirteen-year-old girl making a YouTube video about the bitch who stole her boyfriend. Without commenting on the merits, this will be interesting to watch. Steyn doesn't yield to censors. This is not a prudent move on Professor Mann's part — unless his purpose is to use the courts to conduct a political, scientific, and cultural debate, something that is generally a poor use of the legal system.
IT'S STILL A STEP UP FROM BEING FORCED TO DRINK HEMLOCK: The Greek Olympic team has dumped triple jumper Paraskevi Papachristou for writing a stupid, rather incoherent, and offensive-to-many tweet about how Greek mosquitoes will enjoy feasting on the Africans visiting Greece. Greece has its own laws, and the team is a private entity, not the state, so this isn't a First Amendment issue. It's worth noting, though, that the more that the Olympics become a vehicle for monetizing the Olympic brand, the more that private entities like Olympic teams will be moved to axe athletes who speak in a manner unbecoming to a hired PR flack.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- The Road To Popehat: "This Will Not Turn Out Well" Edition - December 4th, 2013
- I Smell French Blood. Also, Croat. - December 4th, 2013
- Quasi-Literate Racist Asshole Jim DeBerry of Definitive Television Threatens To Sue Above The Law For Calling His Video Racist - December 2nd, 2013
- In Which Elan Gale Teaches Two Social Media Lessons - December 2nd, 2013
- Shore Dreams Vacation Rentals Sees KlearGear Catastrophe, Says "I Gotta Get Me Some Of That" - December 1st, 2013