This site was founded in 2005. Over those seven years, we have had occasional internal debates about advertising. The consensus we've reached is that Popehat will remain free of advertising until Popehat can no longer remain free of advertising.
That day is today.
As much as Ken loves you all, there are more of you than there used to be. As furiously as I try to drive you all away, more readers keep coming, and the cost of running this site goes up. So advertising it will be.
In making this decision, we were guided by three considerations: 1) We need help to pay for the costs of running a site whose traffic has increased beyond anything we anticipated; 2) We want the means of acquiring that help to be as inoffensive and unobtrusive as possible; and 3) We want the site to remain a hobby, rather than a commercial endeavor.
We weighed various options in determining how to meet these goals. Initially, we had considered exchanging links and banner ads with pornographic websites, with payments to be directed to us on a per-click basis. We haven't activated the feature for readers, but this is what it looks like to a site administrator:
Unfortunately Grandy, who runs our forum and much of this site behind the scenes, is a bit of a, well let's just say that we wanted a solution that made each of us comfortable.
We considered a slight modification of the site's content. For instance, this is a list of draft posts that Ken was planning to publish later in the week:
- THANKS TO Vicks® NyQuil®, I CAN SNORT MY TAINT, AND GET A GOOD NIGHT'S SLEEP!
- THE QUAKER OATMEAL V. FUNNY-JUNK: PART LVII: CARREON'S OATMEAL GETS COOKED
- MOE'S BURRITOS, LARRY AND CURLY: REFLECTIONS ON LIFE AS A STOOGE GROUPIE
- DEBBIE SCHLUSSEL RIDES THE MY LITTLE PONY OF BIGOTRY
- JACK DANIELS, SHELL DEMONSTRATE THE BETTER ALTERNATIVE TO LEGAL THREATS
Ultimately we decided that this was taking things too far.
What we have decided to do is this.
We are putting up an Amazon link on the sidebar. If you purchase through Amazon, we would ask that you consider doing so through that link now and then. It will cost you nothing extra, but Amazon will remit some portion of its own profit to this site.
We have blogged for years, very occasionally, about products that we've enjoyed such as books. The frequency of such "product blogging" will not increase. But when we do it, we will include links to Amazon within the post.
What will we do with the money? It will go toward paying for the cost of running this site. By cost, we mean out-of-pocket expenses, bandwidth and hosting fees. Our salaries for running this site will remain zero.
Any proceeds from Amazon in excess of the costs of running this site will be donated to the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, a non-profit devoted to First Amendment legal advocacy and education.
If you have questions or comments, please fill out the little box below.
Last 5 posts by Patrick Non-White
- Fear And Loathing In Falls Church - January 4th, 2014
- Eventually That Animal Is Going To Turn On You, And You're Going To End Up The Victim! - December 5th, 2013
- if you MARRY! like your REPRODUCE! doctor you OBEY! can keep NO INDEPENDENT THOUGHT! your doctor. SUBMIT! if you CONSUME! like your STAY ASLEEP! plan you can WATCH TV! keep it. BUY! period. NO IMAGINATION! - December 4th, 2013
- I Am Thankful For This Bit Of Fun - November 28th, 2013
- They Shoot Ponies, Don't They? - November 27th, 2013