Ravi Shankar's other spectacular daughter

David Byron

Follow me on Twitter! @dcbyron

You may also like...

13 Responses

1. M. says:

Not to minimize Norah's contributions, but Anoushka has always been my favorite. Songs with lyrics can create unwanted emotion, but the sitar is always the warming, energizing, background hum of the cosmos. :)

2. Adrian Ratnapala says:

M. I would put it a different way. Whenever I listen to Norah, I feel I have to sit and listen to the words. With classical music, of any kind, I don't have to pay attention.

You will see I am not exactly a music fan…

3. Kelly says:

She is wonderful! I ran across her music when I was doing a presentation on music for one of my anthropology classes. I actually like her a bit better than Norah, honestly.

M- I agree about the sitar. The djembe is the same for me as well. I can't ever put my finger on exactly what it is about them that makes me feel that way either.

4. Jonnelle says:

I had no idea Norah Jones was Ravi Shankar's daughter. That would be my one thing I learned today – now I can go back to bed :)

I've been a fan of both Norah and Anoushka for years. It was wonderful to listen to this morning!

5. darius404 says:

sitar legend and World Heritage Site Ravi Shankar.

Wow, I didn't know he was a World heritage Site. It's quite an accomplishment for a man to become a location.

6. darius404 says:

Though not unheard of:

River Tam: I'm not on the ship. I'm in the ship. I am the ship.

7. David says:

You have just taken your first step into a larger world.

8. Kelly says:

@darius404- I do love the sound of Firefly quotes early in the morning!

9. David says:

River Tam has superseded Obi-Wan and Yoda. Does that seem right to you?

10. darius404 says:

River Tam has superseded Obi-Wan and Yoda. Does that seem right to you?

Yes. Hot young psychic/dancer/martial artist/genius/all-around prodigy beats old exiled martyr and old exiled alien any day.

11. M. says:

@darius404: "Yo mama so fat they named her a World Heritage Site?"

12. matthew says:

Of course exports from the Occident into India can also be quite good. I highly recommend listening to guitarist Mahavishnu John McLaughlin's Indian excursions with his group Shakti, which sound sort of like what Indian Classical music would sound like if it was organized more like American jazz (theme, solo, theme, repeat).

13. Smoot says:

Came here because of The Oatmeal, which I found because of Darths and Droids (though I'd seen a few of his comics before). I've enjoyed reading the site and will continue to follow you, but this link to music that is new and wonderful will never be topped :) Thanks for posting about Anoushka.