Free Speech Webinar At Franklin Center Tonight

Effluvia

I've been invited to be a panelist on a webinar, which I understand is like a seminar, only with a more annoying name. It's being put on by the Franklin Center, and will include Lee Stranahan, Mandy Nagy, Aaron Walker (fresh from being SWATted last night) and me. I am the token obscure small-l libertarian who says "taint" a lot.

I'm looking forward to a robust discussion of the legal and practical threats to bloggers' freedom of expression.

If I embarrass myself, you'll see it on Twitter. Remain vigilant.

1. shg  •  Jun 26, 2012 @12:06 pm

Being invited to participate in a webinar is a very important thing in a digital society. It is entirely different than a podcast, which is for people of no consequence. No, a webinar is far more important.

2. Scott Jacobs  •  Jun 26, 2012 @12:27 pm

The e-mail today announcing it from the Franklin Center was awesome…

Subject: SWATtings are bad. They should stop.

Really. Well fuck, I had no idea. Thanks for the tip…

*rolls his eyes*

3. Chris R.  •  Jun 26, 2012 @12:39 pm

I say we make a new treading tag on twitter. #TAINT

4. Joe  •  Jun 26, 2012 @1:30 pm

I can't be the only one that finds the timing of Aaron's SWATTing to be a little more than suspicious. He gets the criminal complaint dismissed, then the resriction on his blogging temporarily lifted and SOMEONE got pissed off. BK is getting sloppy.

5. Scott Jacobs  •  Jun 26, 2012 @1:33 pm

Mandy, Aaron, and the whole bunch are WAY inside BK's Decision Loop.

BK and crew are reacting, not acting.

And that is when mistakes get made, and people get caught.

Push harder.

6. Tabitha  •  Jun 26, 2012 @2:16 pm

Forgive me for being tongue in cheek and trying to get people to open the damn email, Scott.

Glad to have you tonight, Ken.

7. SPQR  •  Jun 26, 2012 @2:20 pm

I signed up Ken.

8. Scott Jacobs  •  Jun 26, 2012 @2:49 pm

Forgive me for being sarcastic, Tabitha…

I'm well aware it was a bulk mail. I suspect that few of those who got it in their inbox are as deep into this whole thing as I am.

The subject would be fine for 99% of the people who got it. Your great misfortune was that one of those people in the 1% happened to be a real jerk. :)

9. Mike G.  •  Jun 26, 2012 @4:16 pm

I signed up, but have a couple of ? I got all gussied up…combed my hair and everything before I realized I don't have a webcam. Do I need one or can I just watch and listen?

Thanks

10. Joe  •  Jun 26, 2012 @5:29 pm

No webcam needed – it's starting a bit late as a lot of people are logging in to watch and listen.

11. SPQR  •  Jun 26, 2012 @5:42 pm

I was supposed to comb my hair? Well, at least I have some.

12. Scott Jacobs  •  Jun 26, 2012 @7:19 pm

Extra dose of Lortab, clearly… :)

13. SPQR  •  Jun 26, 2012 @7:51 pm

Hey, its all natural hair.

Nice work, Ken.

14. Ariel  •  Jun 30, 2012 @5:07 pm

Just came from Patterico after A to B, and oddly an old quote that the left so enjoys came to mind: "Until this moment, Senator, I think I never really gauged your cruelty or your recklessness….Let us not assassinate this lad further, senator. You have done enough. Have you no sense of decency?"

Odd how Hoffer's True Believers never seem to learn, no matter how intelligent and clever they think they are. Disclaimer: I don't like the Left or the Right, though I can tolerate the Right slightly more than the Left.

2 Trackbacks