What do we mean when we say that first of all we seek liberty? I often wonder whether we do not rest our hopes too much upon constitutions, upon laws, and upon courts. These are false hopes; believe me, these are false hopes. Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it. While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it.
–Judge Learned Hand, "Spirit of Liberty" speech, "I am an American" Day, June 21, 1944.
Agitate, agitate, agitate.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Lady Justice's Occasional Friends - June 19th, 2013
- Easing Back In, With Ponies - June 18th, 2013
- Prenda Law: The Sound of One Shoe Dropping - May 20th, 2013
- This Is The Most Wonderful Legal Threat EVER - May 17th, 2013
- OMICS Publishing Group Makes A Billion Dollar Threat - May 15th, 2013