Consumer Products That Did Not Disappoint Me This Month
1. Game of Thrones on HBO. We're several episodes behind. I'm savoring them.
2. The Abbado recording of The Magic Flute. I treated myself to buying a few recordings on iTunes before vacation, and chose this based on the Penguin Guide recommendation. On the one hand, I don't love the pacing — it's authentic, but a little jumpy for my taste. However, the voices are simply spectacular.
3. To End All Wars, a book about England in World War One. Two themes were well-portrayed and resonated. The first was how hubris and uncritical devotion to traditional tactics led to disaster. The second was how, in wartime, nominal critics of government will become uncritically pro-war to gain and maintain power.
4. Warlock: Master of the Arcane. I've been looking for a game in this genre as satisfying as 1994's Master of Magic since — well, since 1994. This, as far as I am concerned, is it.
5. The iPad. My precious.
6. Patron tequila.
7. The Bloggess' new book. She's like the result of a genetic experiment involving Dave Barry, Dorothy Parker, Erma Bombeck, David Sedaris, and [think of some writer who says "fuck" a whole lot]. Hilarious, and in consistently surprising ways. She's one of those writers who makes me say "I want to be a writer."
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Father's Privilege - August 20th, 2014
- "Atavistic Oncology" Doctor Develops New And Exciting Theories of Defamation Law - August 20th, 2014
- Sunil Dutta Tells It Like It Is About American Policing - August 19th, 2014
- Lawsplainer: How Mike Brown's Alleged Robbery Of A Liquor Store Matters, And How It Doesn't - August 17th, 2014
- Think That Employee Harassment Complaint Is Too Stupid To Take Seriously? Just Write Your Check To Me Now. - August 14th, 2014