1. Game of Thrones on HBO. We're several episodes behind. I'm savoring them.
2. The Abbado recording of The Magic Flute. I treated myself to buying a few recordings on iTunes before vacation, and chose this based on the Penguin Guide recommendation. On the one hand, I don't love the pacing — it's authentic, but a little jumpy for my taste. However, the voices are simply spectacular.
3. To End All Wars, a book about England in World War One. Two themes were well-portrayed and resonated. The first was how hubris and uncritical devotion to traditional tactics led to disaster. The second was how, in wartime, nominal critics of government will become uncritically pro-war to gain and maintain power.
4. Warlock: Master of the Arcane. I've been looking for a game in this genre as satisfying as 1994's Master of Magic since — well, since 1994. This, as far as I am concerned, is it.
5. The iPad. My precious.
6. Patron tequila.
7. The Bloggess' new book. She's like the result of a genetic experiment involving Dave Barry, Dorothy Parker, Erma Bombeck, David Sedaris, and [think of some writer who says "fuck" a whole lot]. Hilarious, and in consistently surprising ways. She's one of those writers who makes me say "I want to be a writer."
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- A Few Notes On Lois Lerner And The Fifth Amendment - March 5th, 2014
- LEAVE HOUSTON CITY ATTORNEY DAVID M. FELDMAN ALONE - March 4th, 2014
- The Kaley Forfeiture Decision: What It Looks Like When The Feds Make Their Ham Sandwich - February 27th, 2014
- Controlling Public Art By Lawsuit: Japanese-American Citizens Sue To Remove "Comfort Women" Memorial - February 25th, 2014
- Rep. Steve Stockman (R-TX) Files Highly Questionable Defamation Suit - February 23rd, 2014