A Few Questions Regarding George Tierney, Jr. Of Greenville, South Carolina

Print This Post

You may also like...

11 Responses

1. Paul Baxter says:

I like this entire post, but I want to focus in on this bit

"I don't think that the vast majority of conservatives — even those who despise what Sanda Fluke stands for — approve of either George Tierney, Jr.'s language or his censorious threats. Yet most of the criticism I see is from the left…"

This is a broad issue for anyone who self-identifies with any sort of group. President Reagan, back in 1966, said "Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republican." This is nonsense. People who are members of groups which pretend to any modicum of public respect have to take steps to guard the image of their group, whether it be a racial minority, or a political group or religious or business or anything else.

I suppose the problem in this case is that political affiliation, particularly when it is just to "the right" or "the left" is just too amorphous to allow for any sort of careful image control. Still, you would think that it would be wise, in this case, for people on the right to be the first and the loudest in condemning that sort of behavior.

2. Damon says:

I think he's trolling. Whether or not he ended up regretting that his comments got more widely published, I still think he was trolling. Maybe now he's regretting that. Meh. I read his comments. How long does it take for society to realize that the interwebs are forever? Dumbass. I guess it just reinforces my low opinion of most of humanity.

3. perlhaqr says:

So, sort of a side issue. If you were hiring someone, at what point do you google their name? And if it's before the interview process, if one has the misfortune of also being named George Tierney, would it be appropriate to put on one's resume, "By the way, I'm not *that* George Tierney".

4. Jim Hall says:

I'm probably more Libertarian than Conservative, although to the extent I comment here politically, I expect I come off as Conservative.

If a comment on your blog helps, I am more than happy to condemn jackasses of all political persuasions. Actually a jackass in support of something I believe in, just makes the entire argument look bad.

5. Jess says:

“I suppose the problem in this case is that political affiliation, particularly when it is just to "the right" or "the left" is just too amorphous to allow for any sort of careful image control”

Nah that’s not it – political crap aside this really isn’t about them or us. It’s not about whether I agree or disagree with Fluke or Tierney. It’s about if someone posts something in a public forum like Twitter, they have no expectation of privacy on the matter. The real issue is that people like Tierney believe they are so special that they can determine whether or not people like me can exercise our constitutional rights in calling attention to their public comments and voicing opinions about same. They’re not and they can’t.

Damon – agreed – far too many people don’t understand that content is indexed and can be found on Google long after the original content has been taken down. In some cases you can actually restore it (ie. Wayback). I actually tracked down and helped get some asshole thrown in jail for scamming some people I know out of a several thousand dollars. All because the idiot had a prior post with his phone # that I found via Google and we were able to track him down.

Ken – well done. Looks like you have another censorious asshat to add to the vote for 2012 asshat of the year.

6. Rich says:

While I do not know Mr. Tierney personally, I have no doubt that many people in my fair state of South Carolina hold similar, if not identical, beliefs regarding our President and government. I have listened to very successful businessmen condemn President Obama for causing the Japanese earthquake for a variety of different purposes, not the least of which was to reduce the global population through radiation poisoning.

I wish I could say that I believe he was trolling, but sadly, my experience tells me otherwise.

7. Squillo says:

I probably read several demands per week that a blogger or commenter remove some asshat's words from their post, usually threatening a copyright infringement or defamation suit.

As I plan to remind my now-too-young-to-use-the-Internet-alone kids, it really doesn't matter what that little button next to the text input box says. It means: "Send this out far and wide to be read, quoted and commented upon by anyone, no matter how vile or wrong you believe them to be. By pressing this here button, I relinquish any moral right to be upset that they have done so, while preserving my right to be upset by the actual commentary."

8. Matthew Cline says:

Is this a signifier of culture shock — a sign that we haven't worked out, in our own minds, whether the internet is public or private?

It seems to me that a large number of people have worked it out in their minds, and come to the conclusion that the internet is public and simultaneously private.

9. Cathy says:

Re: point three, blame the RIAA. And the MPAA. Seriously. The result of the copyright wars, and their incessant rhetoric that's what's theirs is theirs, don't even think about enjoying it without their permission (they even have programs teaching this nonsense in schools!) is a culture where people think they own and have complete dominion over absolutely every bit of drivel that ever spouts from their brains.

And the sad thing is, the law has been stretched and contorted to the point that it pretty much backs this up. If Tierney wants these comments down he may just need to send DMCA takedown notices to anyone still hosting them. It then comes down to the fortitude of those hosts to resist these spurious assaults on fair use. While such a stand on principal may eventually be vindicated, it might not come before they've been hauled into court.

10. TPRJones says:

I really do think we can thank the MPAA and RIAA for this common misconception that quoting someone without permission is illegal. Because you are copying their words, and "copying is theft!" as they have been assured by all the lawyers on the TV box.

11. Bakerina says:

Ken, I'm way behind on your posts, and am just catching up now. As a result, I'm commenting on a (relatively) old post. But I want to say it here, since you made the case here: I'm not the leftiest person in the universe, but I'm close. Liberal, progressive, left-wing, damnable Kenyan Muslim Socialist supporter; call it what you will. And I will say here, publicly, that Brett Kimberlin is a scary censorious psychopath. I'd add "farce" and "tool" if I didn't think they'd blunt the edge of "scary censorious psychopath." He does not do me or the causes I support any favors, and I'm not going to pretend he does just because he's fighting with — and acting out against — bloggers whose messages I really, really hate. At best, he was a curiosity during the 1992 Presidential election, and he lost what little credibility he might have had when Mark Singer, who profiled him for the New Yorker in 1992 and started working on a book with him, said, essentially, "nope, he's lying his ass off" and walked away. Any good he *might* have done by raising concerns about direct-recording voting machines has pretty much been shot to hell by his scary-ass harassment tactics, both in and out of the courts. To quote Shel Silverstein, some kind of help is the kind of help we all can do without.

I also hate him for co-opting "Velvet Revolution." Yeah, I know that nobody owns that phrase, and it's a generic term for peaceful overthrow of government, but for me it will always evoke Czechoslovakia in 1989. If Kimberlin or his minions ever try to trademark it, that will be the day that I officially don't want to live on this planet anymore.