Fontcrime Was Not A Thing That Could be Concealed Forever

You may also like...

24 Responses

1. Jason! says:

"Over a font, a font approved by the artist it depicted."

Uhh… Not exactly. Maybe by her agent, but not by her (in which case, new agent time, amirite?).

2. Caleb says:

*Thinking* "I don't know who Margaret Cho is." *Googles* "Oh. I don't want to know who Margaret Cho is."

3. Jess says:

Alas I am so privileged that any font may be used while publicizing my endeavors without eliciting butthurt.

4. Andrew says:

I can't get over the name "Scorpions X". I'm pretty sure they weren't aiming for the "Xbox gamertag" vibe, but that's where they landed.

5. Jay says:

Caleb, the same exact thing happened for me on the previous blog entry about Nadia Naffe. Sometimes Google can destroy my happiness/OMG-I-don't-want-to-know-this ratio. Sometimes, it's all Ken's fault. :)

6. VPJ says:

They said that ALANA was not justified in bringing Cho to campus if her management accepted a poster using a font that, according to Scorpions X, reveals a “one-size-fits-all Asian stereotype.”

Please tell me this is the lead-in for an April Fool's joke. Or perhaps some taking-PC-to-its-logical-conclusion-to-make-a-point.

7. TimP says:

So basically it's advertising material for a comedian making visual reference to one of the comedian's preferred themes to joke about.

I'm really hoping that this is an April's Fools joke, or an attempt at viral marketing.

8. Jack B. says:

If ALANA had any sense at all, they would have made new posters with Comic Sans font.

9. VPJ says:

Maybe ALANA can use this handy reference.

10. Man, talk about an example of the evolution towards the ever-thinner-skinned.

11. delurking says:

I call BS!

No, wait…

I call satire!

12. Hal_10000 says:

Only in Academia would someone take themselves this seriously. I especially like how they describe it as "the situation at hand." as if it were a hostage situation or something. It's a fricking font!

13. C. S. P. Schofield says:

Somebody once said that the fights in academia are so bitter because the stakes are so low.

14. G Thompson says:

Can we please have a list of these offensive Fonts?

Otherwise how else shall I know what to use to offend idiots!

15. Caleb says:

Jay, that one got me too. Popehat is one of my favorite blogs, but it has the unfortunate downside of introducing me to the existence of some very repulsive characters. Part of the territory, I guess.

16. SPQR says:

If it had been Comic Sans, I'd protest too …

17. Bob says:

"To make it worse Cho apparently often includes jokes about Asian stereotypes as part of her performance."

This! This is what I don't get. How can you be butthurt over a font but laugh at a comedian whose routine is all about stereotypes. As a lily white as can be honkey cracker I will NEVER understand the intricacies of racial politics.

18. mojo says:

"Fontcrime does not entail death, Fontcrime IS death."

19. Nate Whilk says:

Bob • Mar 27, 2012 @11:35 am wrote, "How can you be butthurt over a font but laugh at a comedian whose routine is all about stereotypes."

I stopped watching her years ago because I realized her supposed hatred of stereotypes was really her hatred of people who were actually examples of stereotypes, i.e., her parents and other adults of that (immigrant, I presume) generation. In other words, she really hates being Korean/Chinese/Asian/whatever.

20. Mercury says:

Too bad ‘Fucktard’ isn’t a widely recognized font – just think of all the Ivy League, hyphenated student groups you could piss of with a poster advertising a non-existent free lunch.
    I’ll just have to content myself with an angry letter to the Cornell Daily Sun….in Ebonics, dactylic hexameter and ‘Wingdings’ font.

21. Narad says:

But defacing posters that make you mad is a tactic for censorious dipshits

Oh, and here I still had a fond memory of the time the music grad students banded together to scrawl "nonentity" on the sententious forehead in posters advertising the imminent coming of Philip Glass. Rats.

22. Christopher says:

Sorry, I'm an art student and this is really bothering me:

Cursory googling seems to indicate that "Chop Suey" isn't the name of a font, but the informal name for any kind of vaguely Asian-y English alphabet font. You know, the kind of font you'd use to write the word "Ninja" on the headband of a crappy movie ninja.

If there is such a font I'd like to know, because it's hard to judge something visually based on a second hand written description.

Honestly, were I designing a poster for an Asian comedian, I'd try to stay away from Chinese restaurant placemat fonts. I can see why people would find that offensive.

Mainly, though, I just find this story hilarious. I enjoy the fact that a group that sends angry demands to other student groups, a group that defaces the property of people it doesn't like, a group that named itself "Scorpions X" for crying out loud, is completely offended that people would characterize them as "confrontational".

23. Christoph says:

If that font is the same one I think it is, I used to have a red-lettered black T-shirt as a kid that said:

F   t   s