South Carolina

Effluvia

Wow.  This will merit some further analysis, so I'll try and tear my self away from The Old Republic long enough to write something more substantial.  But the short narrative:  MidClassMitt had every advantage but attacked the expansion with the wrong unit mix (especially since AggiesFanWWJD unexpectedly dropped.  He gave TheGrinch the sad remnants of his stuff, but who gives a shit).   TheGrinch, already in full on "eff you" mode, countered him perfectly.

It's all econ, and MidClassMitt is still hands down the guy to beat, especially now we're out of the Early Game and into the Mid.  You can't win on early rush cheese anymore.  Now you actually need to play.  And MidClassMitt has by far the most cohesive strategy.  TheGrinch (the closest challenger at this point) has clearly been slapping his shit together with spit and wishes.  We'll see if he can pull it together; you can't just select all your units and attack-move them to some random expansion anymore.  But this game has suddenly become very interesting.

Last 5 posts by Derrick

1. anoNY  •  Jan 22, 2012 @6:16 am

The Old Republic is for suckers! Skyrim Now, Skyrim Forever!!!1!

2. EH  •  Jan 22, 2012 @6:28 am

"spit and wishes," nice.

3. ElamBend  •  Jan 22, 2012 @10:29 am

TheGrinch is a much better natural politician and is good at tailoring his message without sounding like he's pandering (even though he is). He's especially in his element in SC (next to his home turf of Georgia). The big test will come when the process moves out west. Either way, MidClassMitt is a stiff. Even if he may be a better prospect for an executive position the reactions of the crowds in the SC debates lets you know that people are looking for emotion not skill. I mean, how else can you explain the outcome of 2008. People are voting on feeling and tribal loyalty; maybe even in that order.

4. C. S. P. Schofield  •  Jan 22, 2012 @1:19 pm

I keep hoping that one election or another will see an actual faction fight on the floor of one of the two major Party conventions. I think that such an event would do much to clear out the National arteries, especially if it became the norm.

5. Vice Magnet  •  Jan 22, 2012 @4:44 pm

Mitt has no personality, or as ElamBend put it, he's a stiff. One of the things that endears me to a candidate is if they are at least a little inspirational in addition to possessing the majority of my values. People are emotional creatures who think, in that order. That's how people buy stuff too. Here is the real question: Do you really think it matters who is in the Oval Office? I mean between Obama, Romney, Gingrich, Santorum do you really think there is going to be a paradigm shift in our governance? Sadly I don't think so anymore. Either I've become jaded or just wiser over time.

6. C. S. P. Schofield  •  Jan 23, 2012 @5:53 am

Vince,

There is seldom anything resembling a real paradigm shift in a government like ours. That is one of it's real virtues; it moves slowly, so you can usually get the hell out of it's way. Certainly it isn't efficient, but as I've read more and more history I've come to appreciate that an efficient government is an authentic menace.

The "Progressive" 'eat your veggies and do what your betters tell you' style goes back to Woodrow Wilson (Teddy's style of Progressive was altogether less annoying).It's taken this long for matters to get where they are, and it will take as long again for things to shift back. Even if you time the beginning of that shift to Reagan, we have a good few decades to go.