She'll Sing For You, part 2: the Heart Fiercer

Print This Post

David Byron

David Byron is a software developer working for the military-industrial complex. At Popehat, he writes about art, language, theater (mostly magic), technology, lyrics, and aleatory ephemera. Serious or satirical poetry spontaneously overflows from him while he's recollecting in tranquility. @dcbyron

You may also like...

15 Responses

1. Ken says:

Astounding, as usual. I'll have to revisit when I have time to examine more carefully.

2. Matt says:

I wasn't convinced before. I am now. Even though I'm reading this from a network where access to YouTube is blocked, and thus pretty much every link in this post I'm interested in clicking leads to a page saying, essentially, "you can't get there from here". Nevertheless, from your text, with only the statements you make and the examples you transcribe into textual form, I'm convinced that it is a moral imperative for me to check this girl out once I get home and onto an unfiltered internet connection, and then spread the good news far and wide to everyone I know, and hopefully everyone they know too.

Have you considered a career in PR? :) [ducks to avoid the inevitable rain of thrown bricks]

3. James C says:

After your initial post on Marian Call, I followed a couple of links, listened to a song or two, and just had to get all of her albums–an early birthday present to me–and I've been enjoying them ever since. Here's hoping she makes it to Kansas sometime in the near future, or I make it to Alaska…

4. Scott Jacobs says:

I would DM the link to this on Twitter, but I'm not sure if she would be flattered or creeped out. :)

5. David says:

She's secure in the knowledge that stalkers don't do prosody. ;)

6. Scott Jacobs says:

"Stalking" is such a strong word…

I prefer to think of it as "intense research of an individual".

7. gbasden says:

What a spectacular writeup. I've read it twice, and I think I still have more to mine from it. Thank you!

8. Rich Rostrom says:

I have WFMT (Chicago) on in the background (a local singer performing a concert of British songs). Just as I came to the reference to Gilbertian rhymes, I heard "Our great Mikado, virtuous man…."

I love serendipitous synchrony.

9. David says:

Chicago FM listeners and serendipitous twists–
    We've got them on our list! We've got them on our list!

10. tarylcabot says:

The title song is the best track, so thanks for introducing me to a new artist that i will enjoy – for the record, i was/am more in the mood to read this post than Patrick's on bullets to the head.

11. Patrick says:

Now YOU are the master.

12. David says:

Nice planet you've got there. Be a pity if somethin' happened to it.

13. Scott Jacobs says:

Is this the right time to point out that she possible came to view the posting because I DM'd her a link to it? :)

14. ngvrnd says:

Ms. Call's pretty excellent alright. You might also check out Regina Spektor — different subject matter, but her voice and style are strong in the same kind of way as Marion Call's.