State Legislator Quote Of The Day

Politics & Current Events

"We found out later on that, Constitutionally, you can not ban a type of music," said Ma. "Plus, I, like my opponents said, I didn't really know what was going on."

–Assemblywoman and Speaker Pro Tem Fiona Ma

1. Patrick  •  Oct 13, 2011 @12:24 pm

If they'd only written a bill to ban crunk, I'd be totally behind them.

2. Ken  •  Oct 13, 2011 @12:28 pm

I think the appropriate libertarian approach is to encourage individual action by legalizing cock-punching of certain musical populations.

3. Paul  •  Oct 13, 2011 @12:29 pm

Yeah, I emailed her that her opponent's getting some cash from me next election.

4. Scott Jacobs  •  Oct 13, 2011 @12:38 pm

I'm confused…

At the link, they are talking about raves, but the video only shows hookers…

Are they the same thing now?

I really should attend more raves.

5. Patrick  •  Oct 13, 2011 @12:40 pm

She's a Democratic incumbent from San Francisco, Paul. Your money would be better spent on magic beans.

6. Just Plain Brian  •  Oct 13, 2011 @12:43 pm

I'm confident that now that they've banned LED gloves and pacifiers, kids will no longer do the drug that was already banned, at the events that were already banned.

Nope, can't see a single flaw in that logic.

7. eddie  •  Oct 13, 2011 @12:45 pm

“Plus, I, like my opponents said, I didn’t really know what was going on.”

If only more of our elected officials could be this honest.

8. Ken  •  Oct 13, 2011 @12:45 pm

She’s a Democratic incumbent from San Francisco, Paul. Your money would be better spent on magic beans.

Maybe you could start a rumor that she was seen drinking from a plastic water bottle, or that she referred to her dog as a "pet" rather than "animal companion," or that she made a non-denouncing comment about a gun.

9. doug  •  Oct 13, 2011 @2:25 pm

if only it had been disco.

10. Wilhelm Arcturus  •  Oct 13, 2011 @2:45 pm

Wait, what? The grand stroke against raves was to outlaw LED gloves and pacifiers? And the expected result is what now? Everybody is just going to go home all frowny faced? Excellent Governor Tarkin, you've dealt the rebel alliance a crippling blow!

And I know state government is full of minor league dingbats, but who gets that far in life, to a leadership role in the state senate, and has to admit out loud that she just figured out she can't just ban music she doesn't like?

And, in my ever so predicable way, I suddenly want to buy a pair of LED gloves. I'd give them to my daughter, and when she says how neat they are, I'd tell her that they have been banned because our state government is infested with idiots. Better she learn now.

11. AMB  •  Oct 13, 2011 @4:27 pm

"…I didn’t really know what was going on."

– Every Politician Ever, if they were honest.

12. Piper  •  Oct 13, 2011 @4:38 pm

Reverend Shaw Moore: Even if this was not a law, which it is, I'm
    afraid I would have a lot of difficulty endorsing an enterprise
    which is as fraught with genuine peril as I believe this one to be.
    Besides the liquor and the drugs which always seem to accompany
    such an event the thing that distresses me even more, Ren, is the
    spiritual corruption that can be involved. These dances and this
    kind of music can be destructive, and, uh, Ren, I'm afraid you're
    going to find most of the people in our community are gonna agree
    with me on this…

…Reverend Shaw Moore: If we do not learn how to trust our children, how will they ever become trust-worthy?

13. Piper  •  Oct 13, 2011 @4:39 pm

Yeah… I'm quoting Footloose ;)

14. Xenocles  •  Oct 13, 2011 @5:30 pm

Why did you cut out the part immediately following where she announced her resignation? Also why are you looking at me like that?

15. SPQR  •  Oct 13, 2011 @6:40 pm

Exhibit 300 on why California is so screwed up.

16. Hasdrubal  •  Oct 14, 2011 @10:03 am

I'm confused, did they already ban light sticks? Or are they only trying to ruin the fun of rich kids? (Or maybe it's been too long since I've been to a rave? LED gloves, hmmm.)

I also wonder how many people voted for the bill thinking "lead" gloves?

17. Dwight Brown  •  Oct 14, 2011 @11:02 am

"I also wonder how many people voted for the bill thinking 'lead' gloves?"

Well, if that's the case, they're a bunch of saps.

18. PLW  •  Oct 14, 2011 @12:12 pm

I see what you did there… sometimes you dig for a pun, and it comes up blackjack!

19. mojo  •  Oct 14, 2011 @12:24 pm