Too Seldom Is The Question Asked: Who Are Be Defensing Our Criminals?

Print This Post

You may also like...

23 Responses

1. Ken says:

Just emailed the gmail address in the comment spam with a link to this post. I told them that if it is a marketeer controlling that account, they have two days to come clean to Scott about spamming on his behalf until I turn them in.

That should be a fun conversation.

2. I really like this post.
    The likelihood of [the attorney] doing the right thing in response is close to nil, but if he does, it'll elevate him quite a few pegs in the eyes of myself and I'm sure many others as well.

3. eddie says:

Nice site!

detroit criminal defensing best deals popehat

4. Oh come now, you are denying the wonder of English, where any noun can become a verb at need. And when you have a verb form, surely there must be a gerund version lurking in the bushes some where, waiting to strike.

This "you kids get off my languaging!" attitude is so 19th century or something. Crankinessing will get you nowhere.

(Besides which, Googling (there it is again!) "defensing" comes up with a disturbing number of results. People are defensing against anything from their uncle to climate change it seems.)

5. Josh says:

Just for giggles, I ran that IP address through a geolocation service. I'm sure you have already done this, but I found it interesting that it resolves back to Dhaka, Bangladesh. Based on this, I think it's quite unlikely that the law firm in question made this post themselves; instead, I think they have hired a scumbag PR or SEO firm, and that this is a terrible, terrible attempt to boost their pagerank.

6. Al says:

So who do I see about buying dresses and a Rolex?

7. shg says:

Another rule of life: Never pass up the opportunity to use the word "defenestration."

8. J says:

Wow. As a moderator on a rather large forum with some 75k accounts, fighting spam is a big part of what I do. And surprise, we could get rid of 80% of the spam just by blocking IPs from India and Pakistan.

Every now and then I investigate some especially weird spam. Once I found some Indian spammer going by "Egon Spengler" that outsourced "reputation management" to other people, by means of making vaguely on-topic posts all over the forums.

Which, given the horribly broken English used, didn't last many minutes. There are only so many posts of "I agree" they can do before suspicion is raised.

9. GDad says:

If the attorney in question meets your demands, can you leave this post up with obfuscated information, like calling him "Scott Q Pseudonym" or something, so we can still laugh when we read your archives three years from now?

10. Ken says:

Yes, that's the point, and our practice.

We've only had one lawyer respond appropriately.

11. Tom says:

I can only hope that he's also paying for all the "potential clients" suddenly visiting his site.

12. Bob says:

"I can only hope that he’s also paying for all the “potential clients” suddenly visiting his site."

Comment spam DOES work!

13. Dan says:

My solo law firm website has no blog, so no comments. I do get, however, frequent emails through the firm website submission form.

Here is the text of one I got today: "We are Internet Marketing experts who can help you answer these questions, drive mass traffic to your site, and dramatically increase sales." No phone or address, just a name and email for responding to this very tempting offer.

As a fairly regular Popehat reader and someone with common sense, I simply discard these emails. I'm (happily) very busy and don't have time for anything more than deleting them. The troublemaker side of me is strongly inclined to bait the spammer into a series of foolish email responses – I just never get motivated to do so.

Clearly the comment spam is nonsense. An attorney, even a really bad, foolish attorney, who responds to a cold-call email promising web traffic will be put off by speaking to someone with a language barrier. There is some middleman farming out the marketing of naive attorneys to the third world. That middleman needs to be shamed.

14. ElamBend says:

I love [the lawyer's] pic on the website with "the look". Scott Aronson, he stares down the law.

gucci bags kin kardashian

15. Helmut Schpunkewitz says:

i think defensing the spammer is such a great thing. The advocado must have legal rights to hire marketeers. I am a marketeer and my office is Detroit spammy Marketeering

16. Rich Rostrom says:

One very teeny point in defense: it is possible that "defensing" is a probable typing error, S and D being adjacent keys. I'd guess that's why
    "defensing" gets a lot of search hits.

17. markm says:

"Just for giggles, I ran that IP address through a geolocation service. I’m sure you have already done this, but I found it interesting that it resolves back to Dhaka, Bangladesh."

Darn, you mean this may not be the perfect place to find a trial lawyer if you expect to lose and appeal on grounds of incompetent counsel?

18. Rick C says:

@Ken, how often do lawyer spammers actually respond at all, relative to the number of spams you get?

19. Rick C says:

@Wilhelm Arcturus, regarding your accusations of fuddy-duddyism, have you seen the video by one of the #occupywhatever protests, where he shows a bunch of hand signals, and mentions that one of them signifies "agreeance?" This must not stand.

20. Scott Jacobs says:

Yeah, they have to use their "quiet hands" to show support or dissent.

My only two questions were:

1) does me punching them in the fucking face count as a "quiet hand" and 2) would it signal support or disagreement?

21. Rick C says:

@Scott, you're not respecting the procedure. It's "Twinkling" and "Down Twinkling."

22. Ian Argent says:

What, he's not a fan of archaic usage? (See root word for fencing as in sword and fencibles as in militia)

1. October 23, 2011

[...] will take another page from Popehat's book and make the following offer to anyone called out for comment spam at this [...]