Monks Are Triumphant. Are Taxi Drivers Next?

8 Responses

1. That's awesome. I wouldn't have thought they'd succeed either – usually there's some trivial safety concern that you can list, it's just that it's rarely even remotely proportional to the scale of the regulation.

I would have loved to see the fig-leaf argument they were putting out about this regulation somehow being in the public interest – We have to have properly made caskets, otherwise the corpse might get a splinter that gets infected, and die a second time… uh, I mean, when the zombies rise from the dead, they're doing to be really pissed if they've been slumbering in uncomfortable caskets… uh, that is to say..

2. Dan Weber says:

I think you mean it's the County Supervisor's brother who is the prime beneficiary of this racket?

Still, that's important. Being as charitable as possible, the reporter couldn't verify that same last names meant they were brothers.

Or maybe someone should drop him a line.

3. perlhaqr says:

Dan, it was the brother speaking in that quote, but if I am reading the story correctly, the County Supervisor also owns a huge number of permits.

4. Rliyen says:

Being a Louisiana native, and well aware of the St. Joseph monks, I danced for joy when they won.

5. Douglas Muth says:

I *love* the Institute for Justice. They saved my friend's business from Eminent Domain for Private Gain a few years back. :-)

6. mojo says:

At the coffin factory: "Inspections? Why? Has someone complained?"

7. Mike says:

I would have agreed with you at the time and given the ILJ little chance of succeeding.

It seems to me the hardest thing about cases like this is getting a court to say anything besides "Yes its stupid, yes its protection of entrenched interests masquerading as consumer protection, but absent a constitutional violation, the legislature is within its discretion to do stupid things".

Unless you live in a state which has constitutional protection for "economic liberty", aren't you pretty much screwed?

8. Ted N says:

Hell yeah, I hope they keep the wins coming! Freehold!