Don't Tell Joe Kirk About This Web Page. He'll Need To Buy A New Monitor.

You may also like...

18 Responses

1. Rick says:

But wasn't Kirk just exercising his free speech rights? The wall was for expression. Sounds like he expressed himself with a boxcutter instead of a pen.

2. Patrick says:

Not quite, but note a clarification I slipped in.

3. Grandy says:

Ordering students to remove something, and then forcibly removing it when they refuse is not an exercising of free speech. It's censorship, period.

4. David says:

Keep your entreaty
    Off my graffiti

5. Ken says:

You beat me to this one.

Here's what I wanted to say:

Everybody's heard of the Heckler's Veto — the notion that the state prevents you from speaking because a hearer might get out of hand.

That's not quite the case here. Joe E. Kirk is not a heckler, exactly.

What is he? A weakling. A moral, intellectual, and spiritual weakling, incapable of enduring an affront to someone he likes, even if that affront is an inarticulate cry on a wall on a campus.

Sam Houston State University Police have enacted a Weakling's Veto.

6. Rick says:

Oh, I see. Because he's in an authority position? If another student had done the same thing (removing the quote), would it be censorship? If they had crossed it out with a pen instead of using a knife?

7. Rick says:

If another student had alerted the Police instead? Seems like the police / faculty policy are to blame. I don't disagree that Mr. Kirk seems like a douche, just saying that his box-cutter ACT constitutes official censorship seems a little broad.

8. Patrick says:

His act of ordering them to remove it was censorship. It was following that up with boxcutter vandalism that made him a douche.

9. Rick says:

Ah, so he's guilty of Attempted Censorship; he spoke to them and they refused…

The Police were the censors in this scenario in that they actually succeeded in shutting down the free speech, in my opinion.

Anyway, didn't intend for so much ink to be spilled on this – sorry!

10. SPQR says:

I got lost, Rick, just what were you trying to say in defense of the douche?

11. EH says:

"The rooster has sex with all of them" –Seinfeld

12. Rick says:

@SPQR – I'm not defending him, I'm saying the real First Amendment problem is with the law that made the wall a misdemeanor and the Police enforcing the law.

13. SPQR says:

How strange is it then, that Patrick decided to write a blog post about something else?

14. Patrick says:

Something I should have mentioned at the start:

Only a dick puts a blazer on over a plaid shirt, then lets the t-shirt underneath the blazer and the plaid shirt show. He didn't even wear a clip-on tie at faculty picture day.

And look at the man's chin. Specifically, look at the sack hanging beneath his third chin. Clearly, Professor Joe E. Kirk is a mutant, a commie, and a traitor.

15. VPJ says:

I wonder what the douche would have said had the students written "FUCK JOE E. KIRK" on the wall? Would he have been cool with that because the douchebag in question was there to defend himself? Course, we'll never know. On the other hand, I hereby cordially invite him to bring it.

FUCK JOE E. KIRK

Bring your sharpest boxcutter, asshole.

16. SPQR says:

** Resolves to get his chin tucked by the plastic surgeon before Patrick sees him **

1. September 30, 2011