"Likewise, Calling President Obama A 'Spineless, Lying Weasel' Could Engender Memories Of The Days When African-Americans Were Whipped For Lying. And Had Nothing To Eat But Weasels."

You may also like...

14 Responses

1. Ken says:

I read that post and the comments. I think I am now 75% more racist as a result. But that's just a working number.

2. Ken says:

I assume everything mean said about this Kos thread will be reported to @attackwatch, by the way.

3. Ken, this may be my favorite post by anyone alive in about 5 years. It is like a warm glass of milk. I will sleep soundly tonight.

4. John Burgess says:

Back in the 60s, when I was at university, the totalitarian nature of the left and its discourse really bothered me. I found that my anger was useless in the face of their absolute certainty that they were right and anyone who disagreed was morally corrupt and politically to the right of Hitler.

Then I learned to laugh at it. This was good. Laughing at the morons may introduce its own moral quandary, but it was not only very effective in deflating egos, but also felt quite nice.

5. PLW says:

Let's give credit where credit's due. Ken has some awesome posts, but Patrick's the genius behind this one.

6. David says:

Behold the soft bigotry of low execrations.

7. The comment section over at the DailyKos link is a hoot. I see crazy people.

8. Richard Hershberger says:

Laughing at DailyKos is easy. It frequently is a clown show. But keep in mind that it is at the far edge of anything that can plausibly be considered mainstream in what passes for the American Left nowadays. Compare this with the clown show that is the Tea Party. Any Republican running for high office has to frantically pretend to be as clownish as they are. A Democrat running for high office may toss a bone in the general direction of the Kos crowd, but they don't rate anything like the level of pandering as do the Tea Party.

9. mojo says:

"Purges" is the right word. It's a permanent feature of Leftyland.

10. mojo says:

"The statement "The President has no balls" is OBVIOUSLY sexist, assuming as it does that those without testicles cannot do a good job."

Honestly. You couldn't make this stuff up.

11. Davey says:

I like "asshole". It's equal-opportunity and non-denominational. I settled on that after reading "The No Asshole Rule" by Robert I. Sutton. Based on Sutton's criteria, our President shows signs of being a certified asshole.

12. Patrick says:

According to linguist George Clinton (c.f. "Theme From the Black Hole"), asshole has racial connotations.

13. tomd says:

"What happens when dissent arises in the midst of a community that, in large part, defines itself by ad hominem attacks on those who disagree with its political views as racist, fascist, and the like?"

So they ran an article about how to criticize Obama with out being racist/being accused of racism. OK. Maybe I should read it, but it sounds like a pretty hopeless endeavor.

(I should note that my guess is that I'm probably as much a leftie as a typical Kos participant, I don't spend any time there – choir preaching isn't very interesting.)

But here's a parallel: When your political opponents really do widely and endemically use racism to further their political ends, (and some of them probably personally ARE racists), how to you critique their racist methods without being accused of engaging in ad hominem attacks?

Similarly, when your political opponents really do use slivers of fascism in their politics, how do you point that out without being accused of calling everyone a Nazi?

14. Patrick says:

This idea needs elaboration. Could you kindly explain what you mean by a "sliver" of fascism?