The "Holy Shit!" Rule

Print This Post

You may also like...

23 Responses

1. So damn logical. I mean… this really applies to many different areas of life as well. Not that you shouldn't ever do things that are super exciting, but it is a good rule to give yourself a little reality check every now and then.

2. Al says:

Speaking from experience, I would say that if you do get the chance to drive a tank without the whole unnecessary use of force thing then go for it. Lots of fun.

3. Ken says:

Yeah, Governor Dukakis, I don't actually think that worked out well for you.

4. mojo says:

Yeah, that's the problem (or one of them, anyway) with outfitting all these one-dog burgs with a SWAT team and all the goodies – they're tempted to use it all the time. Just to justify the expense, that's pretty much required.

Seriously – a full-on armed raid on a freakin' chicken ranch?

5. Dwight Brown says:

The Museum of the American GI, located in College Station, TX (home of Texas A&M, and not too far from where I live) offers a Tanker School where you can supposedly learn to drive tanks.

Several of my cow orkers are very excited by this idea. (These same people are also big into "World Of Tanks".) I have pointed out to them that if it is 110 degrees outside, how hot do you suppose it is inside a non air-conditioned WWII vintage Sherman tank? But they don't listen.

6. Frisco Scooter Trash says:

I love Radley and read his stuff daily, but can't get him to distinguish between an armored vehicle, an armored personal carrier and a tank.

Its bad enough they're using an APC, but it will be much worse if they ever graduate to tanks.

7. Hey Ken, the "Google +1" thing ain't working…

8. buzz says:

Everyone knows you dont send in the swat team and tanks for a chicken raid. You save that for the big stuff. Like if a guitar maker is using wood from India. Stuff like that.

9. d-day says:

I once realized I was thinking of myself as a "fan" of a particular politician. After much mental effort, my auto response to that impulse is automatic increased skepticism. Urgh.

10. Exy says:

Are you actually saying you skipped that raid all those years ago?

11. Goober says:

Ken – well stated. All of it. I cannot imagine how Arpaio and Seagal thought that this was a good idea. There are just so many things wrong with it:

1.) Unecessary use of force – there was no indication that there would be resistance at all to the raid, much less armed resistance. This is backed up by the fact that no guns were found.

2.) Jurisdictional issues – Seagal isn't a cop in that town. How was he even involved?

3.) Property destruction – it seems as though they killed 100 chickens during the raid. I'm not entirely sure how you can do that without a conviction first (ie, how do you know that these were fighting roosters prior to the guy being convicted of cock fighting to begin with?) They also broke down the walls to this guy's house with a tank, so there's that, too. Whatever happened to innocent until proen guilty? When were the police first allowed to begin handing out non0judicial punishment to suspected law breakers, especially given that no trial had yet been held?

It is obvious that this stunt was pulled for the cameras. Period. Which means that Joe Arpaio and Steven Seagal both belong in jail awaiting their trial, not still wearing a badge out in public.

12. Dan Weber says:

The ability to punish by seizing property and holding it pending trial goes back at least a few decades, and probably a lot further if felt like depressing myself by looking.

13. CTrees says:

@Goober: "I cannot imagine how Arpaio and Seagal thought that this was a good idea."

Read that again, slowly, and think about it real hard

14. Dante says:

Holy Shit!

That is the greatest thing you've written (that I have read).

15. Jag says:

The ongoing cross-pollination and training of local law enforcement by the Federal Government is extremely concerning as well. When the shit hits the fan, local LEOs are going to look to their arms masters for guidance. It's actually a smart move by the alphabet agencies.

16. GT says:

The raid about which you and Radley Balko have written may actually be the "one step too far" for that obese tax-eater Arpaio; as a few commenters here and elsewhere have noted, it is a stretch to imagine that the use of force was justified, even using the tortured logic of the likes of John "It's Not Torture Unless An Organ Fails" Yoo. (OK… maybe John "Cheney's Hop Sing" Yoo would give it a pass… but not a human).

If Arpaio gets indicted for this (it easily fits within several Federal felony statutes, if my reading is correct) I imagine he would have no shortage of applicants to be his cellie. And since fuckwads like him make light of anal rape in the US penal system, the karmic load will be greater than all the (ahem) loads that will be shot into his riven, broken sphincter between now and when he offs himself.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving corrupt fat fuck. And if Seagal was in there as well, his self-aggrandising claim to martial arts prowess would get raped just as badly as his Seagal (a 'seagal' is a fat puffy asshole).

17. Marc says:

You're no daisy — you're no daisy at all.

18. Ted N says:

I'm your huckleberry…

19. Iman Azol says:

While I agree with the direction of GT's thrust, so to speak, I think his obsession with anal rape bespeaks deeper issues that need tapped, gotten to the bottom of, plumbed, as it were.

20. Dwight Brown says:

I noted this on my own blog, but think folks here might find it interesting. Mr. Seagal has a new gig: deputy with the Hudspeth County Sheriff's Office.

Hudspeth County is right along the Texas-Mexico border, for what that's worth.

1. August 31, 2011

[...] from Ken at Popehat, but I think it's well worth remembering. RTWT Like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. [...]

2. August 31, 2011

[...] Ken at Popehat used to be a 26-year-old federal prosecutor. He learned a few things on the job: [...]

3. September 5, 2011

[...] The “Holy Shit!” Rule While funny, this also contains an essential truth about power and responsibility. (tags: Politics Freedom Power Police Government) Share this:TwitterFacebookMoreStumbleUponRedditDiggLinkedInEmailPrintLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. [...]