Nobody's Dumb Enough To Fall For This. Well, ALMOST Nobody.

WTF?

Bloggers get junk mail from people who want to write "guest posts" advertising their own web sites or commercial services all the time. Most I delete without reading. This one, though, caught my eye, because the proposed guest post was so inappropriate for this site, and so poorly expressed.

Hello,

Please let me know what you think.

Sincerely,
Marie

Marie's site appears to be a few pages of insipid fluff posted to draw hits to their links to for-profit schools with criminal justice programs:

In most civilized nations, including the United States, the criminal justice system is comprised of several departments working cohesively to control and deter crime. And though jails and prisons are often at maximum occupation, a functioning criminal justice system works to prevent and moderate criminal activity, and maintain social order.

And so on, like that, only even more so.

"Guest bloggers" spam hundreds or thousands of these things to blogs, hoping that a few will be gullible enough to accept the "guest post", and that the "guest post" will raise the spammer's site's visibility.

(Note that I have used the nofollow tag to avoid that here.)

I was about to delete this when it occurred to me to wonder — who falls for this?

So I Googled the gmail address that "Marie" used. It took me to a "guest post", the second link of which was a "criminal justice degree" hyperlink to her site.

Who fell for it?

Feminist Law Professors.

Guest Blogger Marie Owens: Are Criminal Justice and Law “Masculine” Professions?

A skeptic might read the site-pimping guest post and conclude it looks like something generated in a content-mill to promote a commercial site.

But then, perhaps the bar over there is not set terribly high.

Please do not let this observation lead you to believe I have anything but the utmost respect for self-avowedly feminist legal writing.

Edited to add: FLP has deleted the hyperlink to the commercial site that Marie put in the post. Just so there's no doubt that it was there, here's a screenshot.

1. delurking  •  Aug 24, 2011 @2:17 pm

Did you let them know you posted this?

2. Mark Bennett  •  Aug 24, 2011 @5:42 pm

We reject the phallogocentric concept of "quality."

-FLP

3. Tim S  •  Aug 25, 2011 @6:23 am

Um . . .
    What's wrong with the linked blog post? It's relevant to the topic of that blog, coherent, and not aggressively selling anything. It doesn't bother me that women are "under-represented" in law and law enforcement, but can't reasonable people disagree about this?

Of course, none of this obligates you to post a guest post of your own. But advocating legalizing other drugs because alcohol is just as dangerous and is legal seems right up your alley.

4. Ken  •  Aug 25, 2011 @7:13 am

It's coherent (more so than the pitch to us). But it's extremely generic. Each paragraph with facts or figures has at its core an easily Googled statistic or quote. (Note that there's no attribution for the quote from the judge, even though Google shows it's clearly taken from another article.) It's typical of commercial guest posts, in other words.

And the pitch to us is framed as making alcohol illegal. Sort of — it's bizarre.

5. TehKochtopus  •  Aug 25, 2011 @2:34 pm

LOL. In the last couple of days they've removed the link back to "Marie Owens'" content farm site, but left the utterly vapid post up. Not that you'd notice, as it doesn't contrast any of the "real" content of FLP.

6. ppnl  •  Aug 25, 2011 @3:30 pm

You really really should have accepted their offer. The potential for pointing and laughing would have been golden.

7. Ken  •  Aug 25, 2011 @5:48 pm

Screenshot added.

8. Amy Alkon  •  Aug 26, 2011 @11:16 pm

Hilarious. I get those, too. Next, they'll be posting mail from Arafat's wife.

9. Robert  •  Aug 29, 2011 @6:35 am

Thanks for the warning! I will now not waste my time on any "feminist" blog.

10. Mark Bennett  •  Aug 29, 2011 @6:51 am

Robert, you're not welcome there anyway. So nah!

-FLP

11. Ken  •  Aug 31, 2011 @8:55 am

Marie, Marie, Marie. I'm beginning to think you don't actually follow my body of work. Days after I posted this, I got this from you:

Hello,
    I wrote to you last week, but I haven't heard back from you yet so I thought that I would send another email just to make sure you received my request. My name is Marie, and I am a writer for criminaljusticedegree.net. I happened upon your site recently and would like to ask if you accept guest posts. If you do, I'd very much like to contribute a piece discussing whether or not alcohol should be illegal. Alcohol is a drug so why are other drugs illegal and alcohol not? The piece would focus on legalizing other drugs because alcohol itself is a drug and thus, should be illegal like other drugs or the law should consider legalizing other drugs.

Of course, if you're interested I would welcome your input and suggestions for the topic including a preferred word count. Additionally, I am happy to provide links to previously published posts of mine on other blogs at your request. I hope to hear back from you soon and thanks for your time.

Sincerely,