The University of St. Thomas School of Law Teaches Values!

14 Responses

1. Chuck says:

One thing to keep in mind, IMO, is that we don't know the institutional dynamics at play within the greater St. Thomas system. It could well be that the law school folks thought this was frivolous and worth fighting over, but the university president/trustees/whoever makes the decisions overruled them.

2. Andrew says:

You probably shouldn't expect too much from a law school based on a sun-drenched Caribbean island.

Wait, St. Thomas University is in Minneapolis? Never mind.

3. Mike says:

Got my undergrad degree there. Chuck is likely on the right idea. Not that I'm proud of my alma mater at this time.

4. Dan Weber says:

I went to an engineering school, and whenever the school built, say, a new IT system, they got lots of students involved.

So why not hand this over to some students? This seems like a fine project for a 1L, on a weekend. While drunk.

5. nrasmuss13 says:

"The creation of a great law school begins with a mission that draws passionate students from across the political spectrum who want to improve the world in which they live. Although debate is common and often intense, students understand their role in maintaining the quality of life that initially drew them to St. Thomas. In the classroom, in co-curricular activities and in daily interaction, students maintain a culture of dignity and respect."

So, uhh, like UC Santa Cruz without all of the reefer, huh?

Why bother…

6. Chuck says:

@Andrew:

The law school is, as is the entrepreneurship school. But the people in charge are located in Staten Island St. Paul.

7. SPQR says:

Hear hear, Ken.

8. Norm Pattis says:

Perhaps these defendants took a look at both sides of the v and decided there wasn't much to like on either side.

9. SPQR says:

Norm, one "side" had them in it.

10. Ken says:

Or, Norm, perhaps you continue to be completely full of shit on this issue.

11. Kelly says:

You can see where I am going with this.

I thought I did, but I was wrong

I figured you were going to point out that the "sense of community" at his alma mater was the very reason that Mr Rakofsy's feelings were so hurt by everyone pointing out how well he served his client.

12. Mike says:

They don't teach unpleasant things like conflict in law schools anymore.

They teach collaborative dispute resolution, and civility, and shit like that.

They teach you that if you have a dispute, you don't need to fight, you need to get everyone together to talk about what it is they both need, to find that common ground that is always there, then maybe have a hug.

That training "stand between your client and whatever the world throws at him" starts on the first day of practice, when lawyers who know what they're doing start undoing the kumbayas they learned in law school.

Something else they learn in law school – that the practice of law isn't a business. Don't get me started.

13. Ken says:

Something else they learn in law school – that the practice of law isn’t a business. Don’t get me started.

The practice of law itself might not be a business, but making a living practicing law is.

1. August 9, 2011

[...] —– Ken, the astute lawyer/sage/Don Rickles of the libertarian social commentary website Popehat, excoriating the University of St. Thomas Law School for, among other things, extolling the values of self-esteem, collaboration, harmony and community among their students. [...]