How To Look Like a Jackass In Four Easy Steps, By Froma Harrop
1. Be a syndicated columnist affiliated with a project called "Restoring Civility."
2. Write columns calling people "economic terrorists" and comparing them to "al-Qaida bombers" because you disapprove of what they say and how they vote in Congress.
3. When this incongruity is mentioned, issue a snippy and defensive blog post asserting that (1) they ARE terrorists, sort of, and (2) anyway, "incivility" doesn't mean calling people terrorists, it means "not letting other people speak their piece . . . . [i]t’s not about offering strong opinions. If someone’s opinion is fact-based, then it is permissible in civil discourse."
4. When people dissent in the comments to your blog post, delete the comments and close comments on the post, notwithstanding that you just said civility is letting other people speak their piece.
Froma, Froma, Froma.
Here's the thing, Froma. We all have a bug up our assess about some subject or other. We're all susceptible to accusations of hypocrisy sooner or later. When confronted with such an instance, we have three choices. One is to say "yes, you're right." Another is to go down fighting — to say "why, it's because FUCK YOU!" The third — the one you chose — is to engage in a desperate and pathetic effort to reconcile the irreconcilable things we've said on different occasions. The first option makes us sound principled, the second option makes us sound human, and the third makes us a subject of widespread justifiable ridicule.
Froma, I'm going to be civil with you. On your terms, that is. Feel free to come here and say your piece about this, Froma, but I think the facts show you are a shallow, unserious, self-aggrandizing twit.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Broken Windows And Broken Lives - December 4th, 2014
- Is Rapper Brandon "Tiny Doo" Duncan Being Prosecuted For Rapping About Gangs? - November 20th, 2014
- With Apologies To Baron Macaulay - November 18th, 2014
- Shirts And Shirtiness - November 17th, 2014
- A SLAPP False Alarm Out Of Chicago: The Law Is An Ass - November 12th, 2014