Confidence Is Tricky To Do Right

Print This Post

You may also like...

6 Responses

1. Dan Weber says:

Joel Hirschhorn (Florida Attorney, you know) is a celebrity lawyer. Being written up in People probably warps your view of the world.

It seems clear to me that he sees his comparative advantage by being bombastic, leaving it up to the little people underneath him to actually know things and work his cases.

I wonder if the charges for empty lawsuits are worse for celebrity lawyers.

2. Linus says:

I got a Jackson that says he shows up here to double down. Takers?

3. Scott Jacobs says:

I wonder if they are giving odds as to the outcome of the case…

And if so, do they favor Adamwins.com? And if not, doesn't that suggest something about their confidence?

4. Joe says:

So really, he's just a bully who thinks he can get away with something by belittling them?

5. Dan Weber says:

Joe, it probably worked for him well in the past. He'd call up and be all "hey, I'm Joe Hischhorn, attorney admitted to the Wisconsin and Florida bar, and I've been on the teevee, kneel before Zod!" and folks would crumble before him.

6. Goober says:

The first couple of times you get contacted by an attorney can be quite intimidating. Often times attorneys will use this to their benefit, hoping that the person that they are about to contact hasn't had a lot of legal dealings and will be bullied and intimidated into compliance.

After the first couple of times, though, you'll find that folks become a bit more objective about their dealings with attorneys and simply call their own to deal with it. This website falls into the second category – they've been down this road before and know where it is heading – and so you cannot intimidate them with bluster. They know the story.

Mr. H. would have done well to determine into which category his intended target fell before starting with the bluster – to an experienced target, it makes you look like a douche, and so all he managed to do was to make himself look like a douche.

Possibly – and I'm just throwing this out there – the best way to keep your firm from being lampooned on anti-telemarketing blogs is to not engage in the annoying and intrusive act of being a telemarketer in the first damned place. I mean, seriously, does it even work anymore? Do people really get cold-called in their homes, listen to a sales pitch, and then buy a product? If they do, are there really enough of them to justisfy the number of potential customers that you've pissed off by interrupting their dinner/sex with their wives/favorite TV show/good cuban cigar imported illegally from Canada/second beer of the night/video game/whatever that will no longer consider doing business with your company as a result?

A perfect example is Chase. I had an account with them right up until they telemarketed me one night – on my cell phone. I called them the next day and closed my account, making sure that they knew that it was because of the telemarketing call. I have no idea if they've stopped their telemarketing campaign, but i guarantee you that if my actions became a little more common, telemarketing would become a thing of the past.