The New Professionalism In Theory; The New Professionalism In Practice

Print This Post

You may also like...

22 Responses

1. TJIC says:

From the cited article:

> In filing his DWI report on the arrest incident, Trooper Wyrick wrote … she stated I set them up, but I never made contact with Tpr. Smith

So he filed a false DWI report, then?

I imagine that the brass will come down on him REALLY hard – maybe some vacation ^H^H^H a week of suspension with pay.

2. Grandy says:

That's far too harsh. I figure a couple of weeks with pay. He's earned a vacation, after all.

3. h says:

i snorted coffee out my nose because of this piece. thank you very,very much. a phenomenally funny reminder.

4. Patrick says:

I should point out to readers (many of whom know this), that I'm hardly the first to mock Justice Scalia for the New Professionalism. Google the phrase Scalia New Professionalism and you'll be introduced to all sorts of hypocrisies, in which men whose sole qualifications are that they can pass a G.E.D. and a driver training course, and that they haven't (yet) been convicted of a crime are given the authority to beat and imprison fellow citizens, for even less than the crime of being a pretty woman on a beach town highway at night.

Crime and Federalism, The Agitator, and Simple Justice are particularly good on the New Professionalism.

5. Chris Berez says:

Utterly unsurprising and yet indescribably enraging. Stories like this always make my blood boil. And cops wonder why their profession is so hated. It's because people like these wear the badge while the handful of good, honest cops that try to hold the individuals who shame the profession accountable get fired and lose their pensions.

In a just world, Justice Scalia would be treated to a nice heaping dose of the "new professionalism" is so adores. Too bad that will never happen.

6. Patrick says:

Chris, on the Scalia-Gets-Busted-And-Spends-A-Night-In-A-DC-Jail tip, have you considered the following true story?

Robert Bork trips and falls at The Yale Club.

I'd love to read about Scalia (one of the rudest people I've ever met) getting busted and screaming "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?" at some loser with a badge and a G.E.D., but this is a great substitute until that happens.

7. Bedstain says:

"Increasing" means "more now than previously".

To prove Scalia wrong on this, I'm pretty sure you'd have to demonstrate not that it's bad now, but that it didn't used to be significantly worse.

Regardless of how richly Wyrick and Smith deserve a kick in the nuts, that's not a bet I'd take your end of.

8. Patrick says:

Bedstain:

Scalia's point is that better police training (not demonstrated in Hudson, where even the State admitted its goons violated Hudson's constitutional rights) has made the exclusionary rule an inappropriate remedy for unlawfully seized evidence, except in cases factually identical to those where the exclusionary rule has already been validated. That's his entire point.

I fail to see the evidence for the point.

As an aside, I removed your URL and changed your user-name to Bedstain, because I wasn't amused by your URL or your user-name.

9. Bedstain says:

Patrick: If you had a badge, you'd be Wyrick. You mistook a joke for a serious argument, overreacted wildly, lashed out blindly, and made a pompous speech about it.

Better change my name again. That'll show me to respect your authoritah!

10. Patrick says:

I didn't see a bit of irony, sarcasm, comical exaggeration, or winking in what you wrote. Given that your chosen username and URL make fun of the mentally handicapped, I'm going to prevent you from commenting here, or reading this site in the future.

Just so that I don't overreact wildly to your wit, you know.

11. SPQR says:

Solely for his protection.

12. Scott Jacobs says:

It warms my heart to see Patrick selflessly act in the defense of others…

13. Ken says:

This is almost as upsetting as the time he banned Cornholeyourkid Jewkiller.

14. Chris Berez says:

Thanks, Patrick! That indeed put a smile on my face.

15. David says:

Correction: This is almost as upsetting as the time he banned Cornholeyourkid Jewkiller and I wasn't there to see it. I always miss the high-grade stupid.

16. John David Galt says:

The harder I look at this "new professionalism", the more it looks like the police (or at least those who practice it) have simply declared war on the public.

John Locke told us the cure for that.

17. Doug says:

David, stick around. Just when you think all the high grade stupid will never come back, it does. Patrick and Ken, thanks for posts, I usually either laugh or my blood pressure sky rockets.

18. Wade says:

"Old Policing": Mistreat and abuse only the minorities and the poor.

"New Policing": Mistreat everyone who does not have significant political power, regardless of race or wealth.

19. mojo says:

Is a cop who lies in his official action reports considered to be committing perjury?

If not, why not?

20. Ken says:

Perjury is lying under oath. Official action reports are typically not under oath.

21. SPQR says:

However, the Denver PD is currently all agog over the idea that one of the special has been fired for lying in an official report. Evidently according to their thug union, it is not to be tolerated.

22. SPQR says:

The firing that is. The thug union is quite OK with lying to cover up police misconduct.