A Brief But Heartfelt Response To Karen Spears Zacharias

Print This Post

You may also like...

20 Responses

1. Craig S. Cottingham says:

I don't know why it amuses me so, but I get a kick out of the fact that you actually have a category on this blog named "Effluvia".

2. You have outdone yourself lately, my friend.

3. David says:

Sorry, dude. The Etruscans weren't barbarians from a Roman perspective. They were anciently overthrown overlords.

4. Josh King says:

Absolutely love this.

5. Joe says:

The book in question as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson:

6. Ken says:

Sorry, dude. The Etruscans weren’t barbarians from a Roman perspective. They were anciently overthrown overlords.

I was all ready to point out that the Etruscans weren't supposed to be the barbarians in the logic of my doggerel when I realized you were just messing with my head.

7. Piper says:

Heh, heh, you said dead wood was getting blown. Sounds like a Rolling Stones song…

8. I thought about writing a little snippet about this bizarre piece of what I simply have to hope was intended as self-parody, but then I thought, "I bet one of the folks at Popehat is going to do a far better job mocking this piece of ninnyism than I."

And, well, yeah.

9. Chris Berez says:

Man, you're on a roll! That was genius!

10. Jim Hall says:

Awesome.

11. Nicolas says:

Leaves me cold. There is much to be said for civil discourse. In my view the culture has become coarser due to many of the society-wrecking government policies this site typically deplores.

12. Grandy says:

This is certainly discourse – Ken's poem adeptly addresses the issues with the Zacharais piece.

As a poem it is quite a masterpiece. Poems are civilized.

13. Ken says:

I can appreciate Nicolas' point that there is a place for civil discourse, and that there are places where incendiary language is out of place.

My point is that it's silly to treat a satirical book, marketed to the sorts of adults who will pay $12.95 for a 15-page satirical book marketed to adults, is not such a place, and that conflating satire with violence against children is alarmist, dishonest, and part of the pearl-clutcher culture.

14. Ken says:

BTW: Shared this on Facebook, as did my wife. Sometimes I kind of forget that three of our four pastors are Facebook friends. ::cringe::

15. Victor Milan says:

Clearly a sequel is called for, dedicated to Ms. Zacharias and all the half-headed busybodies like her: SHUT THE FUCK UP.

16. Bob says:

"Until a man is twenty-five, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial-arts monastery in China and studied real hard for ten years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, and devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad.
    Hiro used to feel this way, too, but then he ran into Raven. In a way, this was liberating. He no longer has to worry about being the baddest motherfucker in the world. The position is taken." — Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Hiro :: Raven, Us :: Ken

17. Charles says:

If your pastors didn't laugh at this, you need a new church.

18. Patrick says:

He's a Presbyterian. A sense of humor to a Presbyterian pastor is like a foreskin to a rabbi.

— Ex-Presbyterian

19. Amy Alkon says:

Beautiful, fabulous, hilarious, right the fuck on!

1. June 28, 2011