Not Looking Forward To The Dothraki Recipes, Quite Frankly

Books, Food, Geekery, Television

I have resisted what amounts to a dare by Patrick to geek out in front you all over the progress of the HBO series Game of Thrones, which has had two episodes now. Suffice it to say: I am rereading the series (in my iPad this time) in preparation for the 5th book in July, I am faithfully watching and enjoying the series, I am attempting to keep my dear wife (Happy Anniversary, dear) interested in it, and I am using it to think about the necessary differences between art forms. But I am reserving the more effusive geekery to other locales, so as not to embarrass Patrick. It's really the least I can do.

That said: one of the great things about this series of tubes is its ability to deliver to us not only pure geekery in its unrefined form, but geek fusion, in which different types of geekery are combined in new and exciting ways. In that spirit, via the man himself, I give you The Inn at the Crossroads, a blog that documents attempts to re-create both medieval and modern versions of the foods described in GRRM's Song of Ice and Fire series.

I am so making the hot spiced wine this weekend.

1. Chris Berez  •  Apr 26, 2011 @9:28 am

Can we geek out at least a little here when ADWD comes out?

HBO is really nailing it with the series so far. I've been really happy with the results.

2. Base of the Pillar  •  Apr 26, 2011 @10:13 am

Is it fair to say I should NOT watch it while reading the book? I'm only like 50 pages in.

3. Grandy  •  Apr 26, 2011 @11:34 am

Yes, read the book first.

4. PeeDub  •  Apr 26, 2011 @12:44 pm

I don't wish to become a spokesperson for the functionally illiterate, but I actually got into A Song of Ice and Fire via the audio books. Roy Dotrice does an *amazing* job with all the voicing, and with the amount of driving (and painting) I was having to do, it made the miles (and walls) fly by.

Roy Dotrice was originally cast to do Grand Maester Pycelle before health problems came up.

5. Needs Mead  •  Apr 26, 2011 @1:11 pm

Glad to hear you like the blog! Let us know what you think of the Old Bear's mulled wine! :)

6. Linus  •  Apr 26, 2011 @3:08 pm

Reading the books, I wondered if I had a problem when I found I liked Cersei more than I was probably supposed to. Then, they cast Lena Headey and….

Daddy likee.

7. Scott Jacobs  •  Apr 30, 2011 @10:49 pm

Just started with the series (I got turned off stuff like this after Robert Jordan flogged Wheel of Time into about double the number of books it should have been – I stopped at book 7 or so), finished the first in less than 2 days…

I have to say, I really like Anya, Tyrion, and Jon Snow.

As for the recipes, I dunno why you wouldn't wanna try the Dothraki dishes…

You got somethin' against horse meat, buddy?