That Is Not Dead Which Has Its Server Costs Paid Through The Year 2017
I can't speak for any of the other authors (remember Brian, our resident Obamican? I don't either), but for myself I've been going through rather grueling work, combined with a worse-than-usual case of seasonal affective disorder, combined with a mid-life crisis, combined with a family medical situation that demands personal attention. Although Popehat is a very fulfilling entertainment, my involvement here is a Thing Of Mood.
It'll get better.
Anyway, I did want to share three things, in no particular order:
John Scalzi's Old Man's War is coming to the silver screen. An entirely derivative tribute to the genius 1970s novel The Forever War by Joe Haldeman (which was itself a perverse love letter to Robert A. Heinlein), Old Man's War was still perhaps the most entertaining science fiction novel of the past decade. Wolfgang Petersen, who directed Das Boot before going on to mediocre American movies, is at the helm. Here's hoping Petersen has one great work left in him, because this story will make a dynamite movie in the right hands.
I've been playing a lot of Vindictus in my free time. Emphasis on "free". Most free-to-play games illustrate the engineer's dictate "Fast, cheap, right: Pick any two." They're either bug-filled nightmares, disguised spyware, or tedious grindfests. You can play Vindictus in twenty minute sessions. It's a mildly persistent world with fully persistent characters. It combines depth of play with an action-packed interactive combat system. It's fun as all get out, and it doesn't leave any unsightly residue on your hard drive.
But my Vindictus time may stall tomorrow, now that I'm getting my life back, and Rift is making its debut. I've messed with the beta for Rift since December, and the game has grown on me. Even in beta I found it more entertaining than World of Warcraft, and I think it has the depth to last me until Guild Wars 2 releases, sometime in the next century.
I'll have a full review of Rift, when I'm in the mood.
Last 5 posts by Patrick Non-White
- Significant Developments In D.C. Anti-SLAPP Law. - June 5th, 2014
- Does The Internet Need A United Nations When It Doesn't Have A First Amendment? - March 24th, 2014
- Fear And Loathing In Falls Church - January 4th, 2014
- Eventually That Animal Is Going To Turn On You, And You're Going To End Up The Victim! - December 5th, 2013
- if you MARRY! like your REPRODUCE! doctor you OBEY! can keep NO INDEPENDENT THOUGHT! your doctor. SUBMIT! if you CONSUME! like your STAY ASLEEP! plan you can WATCH TV! keep it. BUY! period. NO IMAGINATION! - December 4th, 2013