Nir Hits His Nadir, While Debbie Doubles Down

Irksome, Politics & Current Events

The most interesting reactions (assuming you find abnormal psychology interesting) to news of CBS correspondent Lara Logan's sexual assault at the hands of Egyptian hooligans have come from those one might think would wish her well, her fellow journalists.

One would be wrong.  Consider Nir Rosen, a correspondent for Time, Rolling Stone, and The Arlantic Monthly, who committed professional suicide last night on Twitter, "joking" (as he later explained when he realized that he'd gone too far) that Logan exaggerated or even staged her rape to get ratings:

lara logan had to outdo anderson [Cooper]. where was her buddy mccrystal?

it sort of depends who it happens to. sometimes we have to find the humor in small things.

jesus christ. at a moment when she is going to become a martyr and glorified we should remember her role as a major war monger.

Rosen woke up yesterday morning a respected authority on the Middle East.  He woke up this morning with an appointment to see the administration at New York University, where he "offered" his "resignation" as a fellow in the Law and Security Studies program. He is now making amends with a curious apology:

A part of me was bothered by how celebrities, especially white ones, get so much attention, and before I realized it was a sexual assault I was sort of anticipating a return to the old theme about unleashed brown natives attacking a white woman. Another part of me was bothered by the knowledge that Arab victims would never get attention, that this would detract from everything else that was happening, and that most victims of sexual assault, whether in Egypt or the US will never get attention. These are not points a man has a right to make though, and nobody should try to take advantage of somebody else’s tragedy to make points anyway.

In other words, if a woman made Rosen's points that rape is a way of life for the victims of "unleashed brown natives," or whatever the fuck it is Rosen's trying to say as he keeps frantically digging himself deeper into a hole, that would be perfectly acceptable.

Nir Rosen, have I got the woman for you!  Meet our old friend Debbie Schlussel:

As I’ve noted before, it bothers me not a lick when mainstream media reporters who keep telling us Muslims and Islam are peaceful get a taste of just how “peaceful” Muslims and Islam really are. In fact, it kinda warms my heart.  Still, it’s also a great reminder of just how “civilized” these “people” (or, as I like to call them in Arabic, “Bahai’im” [Animals]) are: …

So sad, too bad, Lara. No one told her to go there. She knew the risks. And she should have known what Islam is all about. Now she knows. Or so we’d hope. But in the case of the media vis-a-vis Islam, that’s a hope that’s generally unanswered.

This never happened to her or any other mainstream media reporter when Mubarak was allowed to treat his country of savages in the only way they can be controlled.

Now that’s all gone. How fitting that Lara Logan was “liberated” by Muslims in Liberation Square while she was gushing over the other part of the “liberation.”

Hope you’re enjoying the revolution, Lara! Alhamdilllullah [praise allah].

This isn't the first time that Schlussel has played the "she was asking for it" card in rejoicing at the misfortunes of fellow, always female, journalists.  It seems Schlussel has a thing for damsels in distress.

But unlike Nir Rosen, Debbie sees no need to offer half-hearted apologies.

The reaction of the left to this article is funny in its predictability.Sooo damn predictable. Of course I don’t support “sexual assault” or violence against Lara Logan, and I said that nowhere here. RIF–Reading Is Fundamental. Your premature articulation is a problem. I did say that it warms my heart when reporters who openly deny that Islam is violent and constantly promote it get the same kinds of threats of violence I get every day from Muslims. Because now they know how it feels. They aren’t so dismissive of the threats when those threats are directed at them, instead of at us little people.

While the entire post is worth reading (again if you're into abnormal psychology) the "I'm one of the little people, who suffers violence every day" line is a new one to me.  To read her biography, you wouldn't know that Debbie Schlussel's a little person. She's one of the most important journalists in America.

Schlussel’s unique expertise on radical Islam/Islamic terrorism and a host of other issues make her a popular speaker and television and radio news talk show guest, both nationally & internationally. (Her online fan club is the Internet's second largest for a political personality–behind only Ann Coulter.) She is a University of Michigan graduate and holds both Law and MBA degrees from the University of Wisconsin.

As both an attorney and a frequent New York Post and Jerusalem Post columnist, Schlussel’s writings/commentary on radical Islam and her legal actions against radical Islamic parties have gotten a great deal of attention — and results. Columns she’s written in the New York Post and appearances she's made on “O’Reilly Factor” …

Schlussel, who speaks Hebrew, Arabic, French, and Russian, works closely with several Federal law enforcement agencies, consulting on fighting the domestic War on Terrorism, and has provided them with much useful information. She has gone undercover, infiltrating many Muslim organizations in the Detroit area (the heart of Islamic America), exposing their radical nature and support for terrorism.

I hear she's also a millionaire, who owns a mansion and a yacht.

Nir Rosen wimped out, "offering" his "resignation" which was regretfully accepted by NYU.  Debbie will never back down to the liberals.  If you agree with Debbie Schlussel that Lara Logan deserved to be raped, won't you show your support by visiting the website of the New York Post?  Won't you watch the O'Reilly Factor tonight?

Won't you note several sponsors or advertisers, and won't you write them letters or emails praising their support of Fox News contributor and New York Post correspondent Debbie Schlussel?

Won't you strike a blow for free speech?

Last 5 posts by Patrick Non-White

1. Ken  •  Feb 16, 2011 @10:55 am

There are some seriously damaged people in this world.

2. Scott Jacobs  •  Feb 16, 2011 @10:57 am

I will break with routine and actually watch O'Reilly tonight, at least untill Debbie's part is done.

While I can only guess, I don't think he's going to be kind to her, and that can only be hilarious…

3. Mike  •  Feb 16, 2011 @12:37 pm

I love how he "apologized" for not realizing Twitter wasn't private.

4. SPQR  •  Feb 16, 2011 @2:31 pm

Schlussel's comment was pretty stupid but I find a difference with Rosen's grossly offensive twitter remark. He was definitely demonstrating his vile and despicable character.

5. Mike  •  Feb 16, 2011 @2:42 pm

Is he that much more despicable than any other journalist? Or us?

Journalists love tragedy, as it's good for ratings. It's good for ratings, because that's what we want. Give us rapes to watch and talk about. Oh, we must turn our eyes away, oh wait, we'll open them a little bit…

Ever notice how the media won't even list the name of a woman who claims to have been raped? This rule is followed even when the rape accusation is proven false.

And yet here is CBS, and the alleged victim (she has a history of ethical lapses, and her word is not credible) running their mouth off about the rape. And here were are, paying attention.

Are we really any better than Nadir? Why?

6. Patrick  •  Feb 16, 2011 @3:48 pm

SPQR, this is only a part of Schlussel's body of work. Click the Schlusselwatch tag for more.

As for your question Mike, I don't know that I'm better than Nir Rosen. But I didn't pretend to be a champion for downtrodden victims as I wrote this, a pose Rosen has employed to his profit for years.

I'll be the first to admit that if anything, I'm an oppressor of victims.

7. Linus  •  Feb 16, 2011 @3:50 pm

I am deeply, deeply sorry that I let my true thoughts and feelings out into the light, where their reprehensibility could be criticized. NO! Wait, I mean, I am deeply, deeply sorry that I am too much of a MAN to bow to the gods of political correctness and not kick a sexual assault victim while she is down. No, wait, I mean, uh, um….

One of my good friends was assaulted in Boston last week, walking home from a Super Bowl party, and it was only through the grace of God that she wasn't raped after being beat up. So, for me, the idea that you could think it even remotely appropriate to say these kinds of things at this time…the mind boggles. What a vile human being.

8. Mike  •  Feb 16, 2011 @4:03 pm

Linus, he's a narcissistic voyeur. We all are. Hell, you've taken someone else's rape and given it meaning only insofar as it related to you. Since *your* friend was almost raped, somehow that makes the guy's comments that much worse.

I'm not defending the guy, as I'd never even heard of him. Yet his conduct is but one manifestation of the sickness we all suffer.

9. Linus  •  Feb 16, 2011 @4:09 pm

Wait a tic. My sympathy with my friend's experience is also "but one manifestation" of the sickness we all suffer? Because this guy was a fucknutter when talking about sexual assault, anyone who talks about it is as well? Is that really your point?

10. Scott Jacobs  •  Feb 16, 2011 @4:38 pm

"I’ll be the first to admit that if anything, I’m an oppressor of victims."

Since I assume you are talking about your kids and young lawyers, you're in the clear, since none of those are actually people.

11. PLW  •  Feb 16, 2011 @4:39 pm

I'm better than Nadir because I've never cheered the fact that someone got raped. Ever. Even in private.

12. TJ  •  Feb 16, 2011 @5:25 pm

Wanna know the REAL truth about Debbie Schlussel? Go to the website for the Oakland county clerk of courts in Michigan, enter her name in the court explorer page, (Deborah K. Schlussel) and see how many times she was sued and countersued…including one for non-payment of debt. Wonder if she ever mentioned any of that to her state bar's character and fitness department?

Then again, seeing as how her attorney (Michael Schwartz) once headed that same department, I guess that really wouldn't matter. Apparently, the Michigan bar's character and fitness board is willing to look the other way if you just know the right people.

13. Mike  •  Feb 16, 2011 @6:31 pm

My sympathy with my friend’s experience is also “but one manifestation” of the sickness we all suffer?

Yes. You took someone else's rape, and had to make it about you and your friend. Nir wasn't bad merely because he mocked an alleged rape victim. He was bad because your friend was almost raped, and thus his attack on an alleged victim was really, somehow, about you.

Can't you see what the problem is? Some things are wrong even if you cannot relate to them at all. Well, that is if there is any sort of morality.

If we're all amoral now, then nothing is immoral unless it bothers us. I'm OUTRAGED, therefore it's BAD. Morality is therefore another branch of aesthetics.
    (Indeed, probably the only way to understand modern morality is to view it as nothing more than a matter of personal taste.)

14. Patrick  •  Feb 16, 2011 @6:50 pm

That's deep, dude.

15. SPQR  •  Feb 16, 2011 @8:05 pm

Patrick, I don't think much of Schlussel. I think a lot less of Nir.

16. Distinction?  •  Feb 17, 2011 @12:10 pm

Small distinction – it appears Logan was not raped:

"The separation and assault lasted for roughly 20 to 30 minutes, said a person familiar with the matter, who added that it was "not a rape."

I am in no way arguing that a prolonged ongoing sexual assault (if it's not rape, I have to assume that she was touched without her consent) is a pleasant experience, but in my mind, it is different than rape. I am sure many disagree. I am merely pointing out the fact that the assault did not culminate in rape.

17. Base of the Pillar  •  Feb 18, 2011 @1:50 pm

Was it rapish?

18. Shell  •  Feb 20, 2011 @10:06 am

Try again. Schlussel did not say Logan deserved it. She said, in effect, "That's what happens when you're a dipshit who refuses to see the truth." Or see it and refuse to admit it because it doesn't fit your views.

There's also the facet that I haven't seen nor heard mentioned – reporters who think their job is some sort of armor or a magic talisman that will protect them from harm. "I'm a neutral journalist, I take no sides, therefore they will not do harm to me."

Welcome to mob mentality, honey.

19. Patrick  •  Feb 20, 2011 @12:22 pm

Wow.

Schlussel said that she had no sympathy for Logan. Because Logan had spent her career, and the past few days, reporting favorably about a group of human beings Schlussel refers to as animals. She spoke of her happiness in hearing that Logan had been sexually assaulted. She said it was fitting.

One of us can read between the lines. One of us can't.