Word Of The Day: Meretricious
Meretricious: (adj.) The quality of a prostitute. Of or pertaining to prostitution.
Why is Meretricious the word of the day?
Because it's a wonderfully insulting word for describing a person, but most people don't know it. In fact, because the word sounds like "meritorious" or other words pertaining to merit, it's possible, before the right audience, to convince listeners that one has made a malapropism, a humorously ignorant corruption like "refudiate". In the best of circumstances, use of the word "meretricious" allows one to con another into betraying his or her own ignorance, by "correcting" the speaker.
"You meant to say 'meritorious'".
"No, I did not."
Believe it or not, some people get off on that sort of thing.
As "meretricious" is today's word, I encourage you to use in a sentence. For example:
Considering candidate Obama's repeated promise to gay and lesbian voters in the Democratic primaries that he would do everything in his power to end federal discrimination against them, President Obama's legal about-face in Log Cabin Republicans v. United States, the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" lawsuit, is absolutely meretricious.
Last 5 posts by Patrick Non-White
- The Statement Of South Pittsburg Commissioner Jeff Powers - December 17th, 2014
- The Speechfather - November 19th, 2014
- Bill Maher: "If You Strike Me Down, I Shall Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine." - October 30th, 2014
- With Apologies To Black Sabbath - October 29th, 2014
- Love Is Kind Of Crazy With A Spooky Little Movie Like You - October 2nd, 2014