Meretricious: (adj.) The quality of a prostitute. Of or pertaining to prostitution.
Why is Meretricious the word of the day?
Because it's a wonderfully insulting word for describing a person, but most people don't know it. In fact, because the word sounds like "meritorious" or other words pertaining to merit, it's possible, before the right audience, to convince listeners that one has made a malapropism, a humorously ignorant corruption like "refudiate". In the best of circumstances, use of the word "meretricious" allows one to con another into betraying his or her own ignorance, by "correcting" the speaker.
"You meant to say 'meritorious'".
"No, I did not."
Believe it or not, some people get off on that sort of thing.
As "meretricious" is today's word, I encourage you to use in a sentence. For example:
Considering candidate Obama's repeated promise to gay and lesbian voters in the Democratic primaries that he would do everything in his power to end federal discrimination against them, President Obama's legal about-face in Log Cabin Republicans v. United States, the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" lawsuit, is absolutely meretricious.
Last 5 posts by Patrick Non-White
- A Word From Our Sponsor - May 8th, 2013
- Lesson Plan And Syllabus For Second Semester Seniors, Princeton High School - May 3rd, 2013
- A Day Reading Popehat Is Like A Day At The Farm. Every Post Is A Banquet! Every Amazon Purchase A Fortune! Every Comment Thread A Parade! I Love Popehat! - May 2nd, 2013
- I Demand A Senate Investigating Committee - April 27th, 2013
- Be Aware That You Have Threatened, Tried To Blackmail And Accused Our Company Of SCAM With Your E-mail! - April 26th, 2013