Word Of The Day: Meretricious
Meretricious: (adj.) The quality of a prostitute. Of or pertaining to prostitution.
Why is Meretricious the word of the day?
Because it's a wonderfully insulting word for describing a person, but most people don't know it. In fact, because the word sounds like "meritorious" or other words pertaining to merit, it's possible, before the right audience, to convince listeners that one has made a malapropism, a humorously ignorant corruption like "refudiate". In the best of circumstances, use of the word "meretricious" allows one to con another into betraying his or her own ignorance, by "correcting" the speaker.
"You meant to say 'meritorious'".
"No, I did not."
Believe it or not, some people get off on that sort of thing.
As "meretricious" is today's word, I encourage you to use in a sentence. For example:
Considering candidate Obama's repeated promise to gay and lesbian voters in the Democratic primaries that he would do everything in his power to end federal discrimination against them, President Obama's legal about-face in Log Cabin Republicans v. United States, the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" lawsuit, is absolutely meretricious.
Last 5 posts by Patrick Non-White
- Significant Developments In D.C. Anti-SLAPP Law. - June 5th, 2014
- Does The Internet Need A United Nations When It Doesn't Have A First Amendment? - March 24th, 2014
- Fear And Loathing In Falls Church - January 4th, 2014
- Eventually That Animal Is Going To Turn On You, And You're Going To End Up The Victim! - December 5th, 2013
- if you MARRY! like your REPRODUCE! doctor you OBEY! can keep NO INDEPENDENT THOUGHT! your doctor. SUBMIT! if you CONSUME! like your STAY ASLEEP! plan you can WATCH TV! keep it. BUY! period. NO IMAGINATION! - December 4th, 2013