Are agents of the TSA, armed with junk science and a swollen sense of entitlement, still harassing citizens for no particular reason? Of course they are.
Today's story comes courtesy of CoyoteBlog: TSA agents detained Kathy Parker, asked rude idle questions about her medication, rifled through her grocery receipts looking for suspicious entries, then interrogated her about a deposit slip and checks made out to her and her husband:
Two Philadelphia police officers joined at least four TSA officers who had gathered around her. After conferring with the TSA screeners, one of the Philadelphia officers told her he was there because her checks were numbered sequentially, which she says they were not.
"It's an indication you've embezzled these checks," she says the police officer told her. He also told her she appeared nervous. She hadn't before that moment, she says.
She protested when the officer started to walk away with the checks. "That's my money," she remembers saying. The officer's reply? "It's not your money."
At this point she told the officers that she had a good explanation for the checks, but questioned whether she had to tell them.
"The police officer said if you don't tell me, you can tell the D.A."
It's not your money, citizen. Until you prove otherwise to the satisfaction of whatever cop takes an interest, it is potential criminal proceeds.
Is anyone even a little bit surprised that TSA agents are not abiding by the TSA's new regulation restricting screenings to transportation-safety-related issues? Is it any surprise that TSA agents are still using hunches covered in a thin scrim of junk science about behavior to justify intrusive interrogation and searches?
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- How I Became A Dupe, And Why I Blame Canada - December 6th, 2013
- NYPD: Baby, You Know We Love You. Why Do You Make Us Angry Like That? - December 5th, 2013
- The Road To Popehat: "This Will Not Turn Out Well" Edition - December 4th, 2013
- I Smell French Blood. Also, Croat. - December 4th, 2013
- Quasi-Literate Racist Asshole Jim DeBerry of Definitive Television Threatens To Sue Above The Law For Calling His Video Racist - December 2nd, 2013