A Tale of Two Movies

Print This Post

6 Responses

1. shawn says:

And if it cost around $20MM, it would be a success. But it was a studio release, not an indie, that cost at least $60MM. So, oddly enough, factual reporting about the business of movie-making focused on Scott Pilgrim's actual ROI, not the ROI of some different movie we seem to think it should have been.

2. Ezra says:

Sigh, commerce is ever the death of art.

3. PEBKAC says:

Actually the bigger problem from where I stand is a profound lack of Jason Statham in Scott Pilgrim. ;)

4. Tom says:

The marketing for each movie has a lot to do with the first week's box office receipts. The market concept for The Expendables was "all the great action movie guys in one movie" — a siren call that was almost impossible to resist if you ever enjoyed an action movie.

Whereas the marketing for Scott Pilgrim had a goofy looking Michael Cera shooting fireballs while getting beat up by the guy from Push, and some goofy looking purple haired girl. Unless you followed the comic book and knew it to be awesome, you'd probably pass over Scott Pilgrim and go with your explosion-loving gut.

5. MadRocketScientist says:

I'd never heard of Scott Pilgrim before I saw the trailer for the movie, but the trailer was all I needed to see to know that SPvTW was gonna be something special. Seeing as how I grew up on video games from the 80's & 90's, the movie had all sorts of fun references & allusions.

Hopefully it'll do a steady business instead of an opening weekend spike, and then kick but in DVD sales.

I haven't seen The Expendables yet, but I'm certain it'll be a fun action movie.

6. mojo says:

Haven't seen either, yet, but I'll probably go see The Expendables rather than take a ride on the Gen-X express to Whackyland.

Mainly because I'm not all that young anymore, and the sight of teen/twenty-something sturm und drang leaves me feeling slightly bored. On the other hand, I'm always up for a couple of hours of old-fashioned kick-assin' and such. Good clean fun, with explosions!