What Law? Just, You Know, THE LAW.

You may also like...

9 Responses

1. Jag says:

I'm a big fan of Miller's Blog. It is incredibly scary to watch him document our eroding rights.

2. Mannie says:

Typical canned Cowardly Cop argument. Society isn't here to make life safer for cops.

3. David says:

At least the attorney general of Maryland seems to have a clue.

4. Jdog says:

More and more, I'm thinking that a iPhone (or equivalent) running Qik is just plain good sense. (The offsite storage obviates the problem of grabbity folks deciding to 'secure the evidence').

5. Paul Baxter says:

Ever see the film "The Last Days of Disco"? One of the characters is an ADA. His climactic moment in the film is being able to issue the order, "book this clown."

Since it was a film he was, of course, accompanying some officers on an arrest warrant.

6. Linus says:

“Some people will figure, ‘I have a right to take pictures,’ and we are not arguing with that. An officer also has a right to his or her safety and to control the situation.”

I'm sorry, this is a ridiculous non sequitur. What in HELL does someone continuing to hold on to their own fucking camera have to do with the officer's safety? And even if it were true that an officer has the right to "control the situation", whatever the fuck that means, again, what does that have to do with a photographer?

It looks like this jerk was unintentionally honest though. He WASN'T arguing with that right. They are just flat out ignoring it.

7. Federale says:

An AUSA might get in the way by suggesting that agents seize things actually listed in the search warrant approved upon probable cause by a federal magistrate, and interfere with the agents’ natural inclination to haul away a mostly random array of unexamined boxes of documents and shiny objects.

LOL, you just don't understand, we are like squirrels, pack rats, and other furry creatures. We are especially attracted to the boxes because there "might" be something relevant in that box full of magazines. That is where I would hide proof of my crime.

Also, AUSAs tend to shoot themselves in the foot when running with guns.

8. James H says:

Quick thought:

I saw an incident out of (I think) Washington state recently where the police (who'd had a recent negative encounter with photography) didn't tell the photographer to put away the camera or try to confiscate it. Instead, they told him to stand back while filming (sensible, IMO), and afterward the police ASKED if they could have a copy of the video and ASKED if it was going to go onto YouTube … and they asked for the photographer's channel so they could find it.

Quite sensible, IMO.

1. August 1, 2010

[...] noticed in the comment thread to this post (h/t Donald Heath) that there is a second live video broadcasting app for the iPhone, Qik.  I was [...]