It's Not OK To Censor Them. But It's OK To Hate Them.

Print This Post

You may also like...

17 Responses

1. TJIC says:

Excellent post – loved two bits:

* "Many people simply aren’t comfortable with the notion that we should protect the right of others to say things we hate."

* "It’s perfectly all right to believe simultaneously that Judge Wilson reached the right result and that Evan S. Cohen is a smug and unlikeable douche raising a child to be a sociopath."

2. mojo says:

"Don't hate the playah, hate the game."

3. Evan Cohen says:

You can call me names all you want, if it will make you feel better.

This case was about the limits on governmental power. Someone had to stand up for the Constitution, and that person was me. I will not back down, ever, from the defense of free speech.

The video has been posted to assist in the public debate. Our position has always been that this is not cyber-bullying. If one cannot see the video, how can that point be debated?

Evan Cohen

4. Patrick says:

It would seem you made your point Mr. Cohen. Will you now ask your daughter to take down the vile video? Or will she leave it up for all eternity as a monument to her status as a first amendment martyr?

5. Ken says:

And yet the First Amendment issue does not turn on whether or not the video is "cyber-bullying," a faddish media term that means pretty much whatever the user wants it to mean. Nothing in Judge Wilson's opinion suggests that J.C.'s rights turn on whether her conduct was, or was not, something called "cyber-bullying." The "debate" over whether the video is "cyber-bullying" is therefore pointless and banal.

It seems more likely that you are keeping the video up as a gesture of triumphalism and spite over vindicating your daughter's First Amendment right to ridicule and demean another teenage girl.

Reasonable and decent people can draw their own conclusions about your character, and hers, as a result.

6. Doug says:

The First Amendment allows many unpopular ideas and thoughts to be said, but it doesn't prevent me from thing the girl who made the video to be a #$% and a little sh$#.

7. Scott Jacobs says:

Dear Mr. Douchbag-Lawyer-Father-Type-Person,

While I agree that yours was clearly a case of a school over-reaching itself, and while I hate in all forms the BS that is the recent glut of "punish the cyber-bully", it remains that the lesson you claim this was is not, in fact, the lesson as everyone else will see it…

The lesson we learned is that your daughter is a complete and utter bitch, and you raised her to be an insufferable little shit.

I'm sure she's quite proud of herself for all of this, and if not I would love to hear her say so. Publicly. Without any sort of written statement to read (not pages, no note-cards, no teleprompters).

I would dearly love to hear your little bitch of a daughter say she was sorry and even have it almost sound like she means it. I'm not even asking for true sincerity, or even convincing acting – just that she make the effort to lie to us and say that she feels bad.

You obviously raised a shitty kid there, Mister. I do so hope she one day soon gets to enjoy what CC got to enjoy.

I would love to have your own victory cited as why no one can do a damned thing about it.

8. Mike says:

I love when the douchey perp subject of your ridicule shows up in person to instigate more ridicule.

9. SPQR says:

And it is our duty, Mike, to see that he gets that ridicule.

Nice job, Ken.

10. Dennis says:

This case is a good example of why violence can be a good thing. The Cohen girl should have her gface ground into the horse manure in the gutter, by the victim and her friends. Then the victim should take her detention and move on.

Ah for the Good Old Days ™. (How I miss the diptheria!)

11. Angela says:

All the Father had to say was "That wasn't a nice thing to do" while he is busily suing for the right for his daughter to post slander? Obviously a very wonky moral compass in the Cohen household.

12. DensityDuck says:

Well, Angela, you see, when you're daughter's such a cunt, it's very important that you maintain a strict sense of legality, because you know that the vile little bitch is going to be involved in any number of disciplinary actions.

13. DensityDuck says:

PS I love how Ken goes to great lengths to try to say that Cohen won but he's still an asshole.

Hey Ken–you're an idiot. Assholes don't care what you think. They care about winning. Cohen won. What he sees here is some fat neckbeard crying because Someone Said Mean Things and Got Away With It. And, y'know, that's exactly what this is.

14. Ken says:

I laughed at "fat neckbeard," so you get points for that. But the rest smacks of too much effort for too little result.

15. Matt says:

I want the neo-Nazis and the KKK marching in the street. After all, I've got some past-its-prime produce in the fridge, and given a couple of days in a sealed and unchilled Coleman cooler, I'm sure it'd be in proper condition for presenting to them. At high velocity, through the air. Whereas if they're meeting only in secret, how are we supposed to know who to throw the rotten vegetables at?

This is part of the point of free expression.

Cohen and his daughter have their right to free expression. As they should. We also have ours…and we should use it just as actively, if not even moreso.

16. DensityDuck says:

Ken: So you're saying that you don't care what the anklebiters think?

Congratulations, you've agreed with me.

1. July 7, 2010

[...] the case in favor of the right party, more or less, which doesn't keep the right party from also being a deplorably wrong party (strong language, invective, [...]