Yet Who Would Have Thought The Old Dog To Have So Much Blood In Him?
If you want a textbook case of what's wrong with the drug war, look no further than Marietta Robinson's bathroom.
Full disclosure: I take everything Ms. Robinson has to say on faith. Why? Because Marietta Robinson has never lied to me.
Marietta Robinson, to my knowledge, has never invaded a 62 year old lady's home, looking for someone who doesn't live there, and shot a 13 year old dog which had been placed out of harm's way for his own protection.
Marietta Robinson has never described the dogs she didn't shoot as "pit bulls," because she doesn't shoot dogs, and even if she does, they aren't pit bulls.
Marietta Robinson has never used her victim's water fountain to wash the blood off her hands after casually firing eight shots into that victim's pet.
Marietta Robinson has never tried to fob off fortune cookie wrappers as glassine bags containing drug residue.
All of this, on the other hand, is Standard Operating Procedure, Business As Usual, in the War on Drugs. Of course, Marietta Robinson is lucky to be alive, much less not arrested because the fortune cookie wrappers didn't actually contain any drugs, so she should shut up and stop complaining.
Out! Out! Damned Spot! Oh, I'm sorry. The dog's name was Wrinkles.
Everything about the drug war is a miserable failure. Millions of otherwise productive citizens languish in the criminal justice system, while drugs continue to circulate, making billionaires of the criminals who control the trade. That's a problem of policy, not the fault of the police, who are merely following orders.
But it's also a problem of execution, and that's the problem with the people who are just following orders. Because it takes a special sort of person, the sort of trigger-happy goon who would be drummed out of the military for bloodthirstiness, to want a job that involves home invasions and shooting 13 year old dogs. We hire the dregs of society, base animals barely better than the dogs they shoot, to enforce our laws.
And until we do something about it, it will continue. It just won't happen to people like us.
Last 5 posts by Patrick Non-White
- Significant Developments In D.C. Anti-SLAPP Law. - June 5th, 2014
- Does The Internet Need A United Nations When It Doesn't Have A First Amendment? - March 24th, 2014
- Fear And Loathing In Falls Church - January 4th, 2014
- Eventually That Animal Is Going To Turn On You, And You're Going To End Up The Victim! - December 5th, 2013
- if you MARRY! like your REPRODUCE! doctor you OBEY! can keep NO INDEPENDENT THOUGHT! your doctor. SUBMIT! if you CONSUME! like your STAY ASLEEP! plan you can WATCH TV! keep it. BUY! period. NO IMAGINATION! - December 4th, 2013