Memo To All n00bs: STFU!

6 Responses

1. Ken says:

Unfortunately, people who are inclined to be publicity-seeking are disinclined to understand, or heed, such good advice.

2. S.A. says:

While I completely agree with you in principle, the more I read about the Heenes the more it seems that talking to the news media was the intent of the whole ordeal.

If they had just kept their mouths shut, interest would have blown over. Interest they worked so hard to develop.

3. Mike says:

+1 Ken. They probably welcome the criminal charges. It's just more attention – which, ultimately, is all they care about.

4. Patrick says:

Ah, but if I can save just one innocent attention whore from his own folly (like, say, Richard Jewell, who was a hero and an attention whore), this post will have been worth the minimal effort behind it.

I honestly don't think most ordinary people understand how treacherous the media can be. I haven't spoken to a reporter beyond "a lawyer for the defendant stated his client denied liability, and that the true facts would emerge at trial" since middle school, despite a number of opportunities personal and professional.

In middle school, I was asked whether it felt good to know that I was going to a certain spelling competition, and I responded that I hoped to do my best. I was cagey even then. For a future blogger.

5. Sparkylong says:

Patrick, I urge you to teach a course in medical school. For that matter, I urge you to teach for 10 minutes in medical school. Any medical school. God knows those future doctors will need it when they face their first bad outcome.

6. Windypundit says:

I did a tiny bit of reporting as a volunteer for a community newspaper, and it's amazing. People don't realize what they're saying. I'm not particularly aggressive, yet when I covered the local police station I was able to get some of the cops to badmouth other cops and even their bosses on the record (although none of it amounted to a story worth printing).