Doctor, I Need To Buy A Thermometer

Print This Post

You may also like...

10 Responses

1. Dirk D says:

Why would anybody use a mercury thermometer for taking a person's temperature? It's not like you need research level accuracy. Most are either alcohol based or digital these days anyway.

2. James says:

You leave out the important part where the thermometer has to contain mercury. I don't even know where you'd find a mercury thermometer to buy.

3. Patrick says:

Then why pass a law mandating a prescription for it at all? Why not outlaw it? Mustn't we do everything in our power to protect children from mercury?

4. Dirk D says:

Patrick

It makes the governor look like he is protecting the children without actually doing anything at all.

Very shrewd pandering.

5. Patrick says:

Well DUH Dirk! It was a rhetorical question.

6. Ken says:

When I was but a wee lad, I bit into a mercury thermometer when my mother was out of the room. I could not state with reliability whether or not I had swallowed said mercury (I was watching, if memory serves, Bert and/or Ernie), so a trip to the ER was called for.

7. David Schwartz says:

I think this is effectively equivalent to outlawing the sale of mercury thermometers. I can't think of any scenario in which a doctor would write such a prescription. If anyone ever got poisoned by the mercury, the doctor would have to defend his prescription, which is essentially impossible since a digital thermometer is just as good for any conceivable medical situation.

8. matthew says:

I think there are much better reasons to pick on Gov. Doyle.

Frankenstein Veto anyone?

9. Doug says:

As I live in the Glorious Worker's Paradise of Wisconsin, AKA the nanny state, I had not heard of this piece of stupid legislation. Nobody uses those thermometers anymore. The kindergarten thing is stupid also. It will affect about 100 kids, and there is exception if you are home schooling your kid of kindergarten age. Also, the drunk driving legislation here is a joke. Lets tax hard liquor and that will pay for the costs of greater enforcement. It will just go into a rat hole, and how about taxing beer or just criminalize 1st offense DWI? Rant over. Thank you.

1. October 13, 2009

[...] Wisconsin governor signs bill requiring prescription to buy mercury thermometer [Popehat] [...]