Four Wheels Good, Two Wheels Bad!

Print This Post

You may also like...

8 Responses

1. DevilDan says:

I'd be willing to fax that form in to them with this boy's name on it.

2. Scott Jacobs says:

While Adam probably wouldn’t qualify during “Respect Month,” as his school calls October

I disagree. The boy respects his rights and himself. That's way better than respecting people who go out of their way to prove that they do not deserve to be respected.

3. Ken Chan says:

Nutty in too many ways. You wouldn't have to worry about obesity and BMI if kids were allowed to walk or bike to school. When I was a kid, we walked to school…and we liked it.

4. Base of the Pillar says:

To make matters worse, his mom even bikes with him.

Perhaps this is all a way to begin driving the pre-teen wedge between mother and son.

5. Reed says:

It astonishes me that the school even asserts it has the right to dictate how students arrive at school.

On second thought, maybe I shouldn't be astonished. Unfortunately.

6. Old Geezer says:

I don't know how it is in New York, but in California the courts have ruled that the School District is responsible for the welfare of the child from the time he leaves home until the time he returns home. That no one has died yet by being hit by a car on that particular road does not change the fact that the school officials (and apparently law enforcement) don't want to be around to watch the record broken. The cites for the article do not state whether there was any serious discussion between the parties as to total assumption of risk by the parent(s). There is only the reference to a "nonverbal agreement." So we must assume there were hand gestures and vigorous nodding of heads without a word being uttered.

Perhaps mom has stepped over the line separating standing up for her son's rights and outright anarchy. No matter how many big asshats I have had to deal with in a long career of dealing with government employees, I have never run into an instance where, "I'm right; screw you" has solved a problem.

7. Patrick says:

Well I don't know anything about New York or California law Old Geezer, and I didn't bother to look it up. The important question here is not, "what do the statutes and regulations and common law of New York have to tell us about the administrative authority of school boards to regulate the transportation of students to their assigned schools?"

It's "what the hell is wrong with this country when the government tells a kid he can't ride his bike to school?" If it was my kid, I wouldn't be very accommodating or solicitous of the feelings of the drones who enforce this policy. I'd probably just sue.

As for California, don't tell me about grapefruit law. The inmates run the asylum in California.

1. October 10, 2009

[...] bike — or even walk! — to school [Albany Times-Union, Lenore Skenazy/Free Range Kids, Patrick at Popehat, Doug Mataconis/Liberty [...]