Criminal Conspiracies To Violate Civil Rights Are Not, In Fact, Amusing

Print This Post

You may also like...

11 Responses

1. Scott Jacobs says:

The first car they stopped was allowed to leave because the people inside were on their way to the hospital

Wouldn't you like to be the lawyer for those people if their loved one had died without them their because Barny Fife was acting as a well-armed bureau of tourism?

2. Scott Jacobs says:

"without them there", I mean.

Time for sleep, I think…

3. KipEsquire says:

I think somebody needs a hug.

4. moritheil says:

Those with power tend to downplay any harm caused by their exercising it. I'm not surprised that they honestly don't see anything wrong with strong-arm tactics – they aren't on the receiving end.

As to your final question, clearly, no one is supervising.

5. Scott Jacobs says:

"I need an adult! I NEED AN ADULT!!!"

6. Jag says:

Holy crap that is messed up.

7. Windypundit says:

Since this is clearly not a legitimate police activity, I wonder how the town's liability carrier feels about it.

8. Mike says:

Small towns in Iowa (and elsewhere) scare me. I lived in one. They are mini-police states.

There was an interesting case involving illegal seizures involving Southwest. As part of a joke, Southwest had police come out to arrest an employee who had just made it through her probationary period. The employee had a nervous breakdown.

She filed a 1983 suit, and got past summary judgment since motive is irrelevant. Even if the cops meant well (in the Southwest case, it seemed like they did), so what. The standard is for an arrest is an objectively reasonableness belief that probable cause of a crime exists. Still, I felt sort of bad for the cops in the Southwest case.

These Iowa cops are just trying to extort money. I wonder if there's a dormant commerce clause cause of action in there, too, since out-of-staters are being discriminated against.

9. Matt says:

Dead right, it's not funny. And it's frightening how many people apparently think it is. What's next, folks?

10. Rebecca says:

Well I would like to comment on this article. The intersate is its own road. The sheriff was sitting off on the highway watching for people who exited the interstate with out of state plates. When they pulled the people over the first thing that was said is that you are not in any trouble, you did nothing wrong and are free to leave whenever you would like! Also for one they were not asked to spend money. They got a free nights stay, a free breakfast along with supper. They got discounts from shops when they went it. If they CHOSED to go in. Also another point i would like to make is the fact that you are assuming there are no adults and that these people in small town iowa are horrible people. Well i would like to tell you that Jerry Dunbar has done a great job at being our Sheriff. He has cut down the budget and reopened are jail. I know that Jerry Dunbar would not do anything bad to anybody he is a amazing guy and he is a great christian man. I am very offended by this article just because you and everyone else out there doesnt know the real story and you are making innocent people look bad

1. September 21, 2009

[…] in the order in which I saw it, Radley Balko, Popehat, and the Volokh Conspiracy I read about the fine town of Kalona, Iowa, where the local police have […]